Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any personal experience of Indian Volkes filters?

Anyone on here seen first hand one of the Indian made Volkes air filter set ups? Have you got a mate who bought one etc? I know that Indian stuff has been well discussed on here and in line with common opinion I wouldn't trust anything crucial to parts unknown from unknown parts, so there is no need to go over the same stuff again. But can anyone confirm if these steel boxes are the right shape and size etc, with passable radius corners, the pipe the right size etc etc?

Or indeed does anyone know a source of accurate replicas that originate elsewhere?

email (option): dncnsimpsonAT the well known 'warm'mail.com

Re: Any personal experience of Indian Volkes filters?

Erik Patterson had a batch made in India years ago and they were very good, but everything I've seen since from India was bad to disgusting. The best repros by far that I've seen are supplied by Peter Long here. http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/
But not cheap! He told me he's winding down to retire, so probably these parts wont be repeated when gone. Mention my name if you want. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cheers Ron, I will take a look at them. Duncan

email (option): dncnsimpsonAT the well known 'warm'mail.com

Yes, Peter Long borrowed one of my originals, and they are very nice!

Cheers,

Lex

PS, it's Vokes, not Volkes!!!!

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

I had one of the Indian repro filters a couple of years ago bought in the UK,they still sell them (the one in red primer with data plate)on ebay,I also have an original one bought 20 years ago from OLD BIKE MART,the repro was 1/4 inch longer and the brackets on the side that hold the straps on were 1/2 inch out,and they did not use rivets for the tension bar,but brazed two studs on inside to hold the bar,the clips that hold the perforated plate on were out as well,the last three can be altered with a bit of effort to make it look more like the original,the data plate is not an exact copy also,I think there are four different repro filters from India so cant give any info on the others.On the original filter I bought a sheet of thin white felt and got some one with a sewing machine to make some tubes up,when you use one with the tubes fitted you will probably have to fit a smaller main jet to the carb,I don't think there is any original info on fitting these filters and main jet sizes that were used on the different bikes they were fitted to,I went from a 150 to 140 main jet and it seems to run ok.As for the elbow I have only seen two originals for sale in the last twenty years,they are probably made from alloy or Mazak? there were some repro ones on the market a couple of years ago from Greece that came on ebay which looked ok,so some one must have made a small batch.

I bought an Indian copy some years ago, it wasn't square in any direction, but as they are hand made we must assume they are all different and the law of averages says that if they make enough of them eventually one must be OK.

I was later on lucky enough to find an original with most of an original elbow at a jumble, the only one I've seen for sale in 30 years of looking.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

And I now have Rob's original Elbow on my M20 (I guess It's made of Mazak) I used it to get a small batch cast in Ally, but the machining was going to be difficult and costly so I sold the bare castings. One of which Rob cleverly fettled and that one is now on my 3HW. I also bought one of the Greek repros for my MAF and you can't really tell these repros from my original. None of them came with the original style of curved tube that connects to the flexi tube, which didn't matter for the M20 or 3HW as I was able to use a straight tube. But I needed a curved tube for the MAF. My helpfull tube guy gave me a length of the correct size tube which he'd put different radius's in and I was able to cut this up untill I'd found the right piece. Ron

photo M20 242_zpsbfvehmku.jpg

Hi Ron, do you have any of those elbow castings left?

Regards, Rob

email (option): robert.g.elliott@gmail.com

Sorry all gone and not a saga I want to repeat I'm afraid. Lex was talking about getting a pattern made by the new process of 3D printing. Ron

No worries, thought that might be the case. I have a 3D printer at work and would be happy to get some cast. I'd need some good quality photos of an original part and associated dimensions to create the CAD model though, if anyone on the Forum would be willing to do that. The ideal thing would be for someone to lend me an original part - but I know that is a big ask.

email (option): robert.g.elliott@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1