Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FIRE EXTINGUISHER - FITTING?

After two and a half years of barely sleeping at night with the worry, I've finally found the reference to the supply of extinguishers with Big 4 outfits - It relates to possibly 47 or possibly 166 of the last contract of 212 (originally to have been 180) machines delivered under contract C13056 (S5738 - S5949). If it refers to the 47 then these seem to have been crated for export. This usually meant the Far East.

These were all fitted with box sidecars, hence a reasonable amount of space to carry them.

This is the entry from the Ministry of Supply ledger :-

photo C13056 2_zpsiticrx4w.jpg

"In addition, fire extinguishers complete with bracket (WD pattern) on basis of one per machine".

Job done, get some sleep Rik, get some sleep :-)

Bloody Hell! Hawk-eye Rik! I've got a job to read it even now you've shown me. There are two words I can't quite make out though:-

1)On the left 'Item 2' it says "As item 1 less tyres covers & tubes ????? to be packed for export.

2) at the end of the sentence about the fire extinguishers "(WD Patter) on ????? of one per machine"

Can you enlighten me those ????? words please Rik, and could you also just look up the Air Ministry records to see if mine from that period should have one too

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron
1) 'batteries' , but the crossings for the t's are 'flying'.
2) 'Basis' - as Rik put on his photo caption

Of course Thanks! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm ashamed to say that, I've just returned to the Forum after an very long period, and was amazed to find that one of my posts was still active in February 2017! Aplogies to Rik for having caused him so many sleepless nights. I have now fitted the extinguisher to my '43 Willys Jeep, which is in British livery.
I had my first 2017 run on my WM20 last week and most enjoyable it was too - hope to use it lot more this year, now that the Jeep rebuild is finished.
Scorp.

email (option): bb@scorpionvideo.net

It is good to get this sort of info/thoughts.

My M20 had a WW2 WD Pyrene extinguisher fitted to the rear carrier frame when I bought it, the bike was restored by an American who I believe went off other restored bikes he researched. It seems mainly correct otherwise (I do have to change the tank C number though as he had the wrong one painted on).

I will probably just leave the extinguisher on it as I have already made it non-standard by fitting a brake light mechanism to it. I also like it, lol.

Just fitted period pannier bags (from Pegasus in the U.K.) to replace the 2 packs he had on it and have new canvas handle bar grips to fit, all sourced from comments on this site, CHEERS EVERYONE.

Norton 16H with fire extinguisher

No idea when this photo was taken but it does have a fire extinguisher.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Norton 16H with fire extinguisher

Presumably wartime as there is a blackout mask fitted, but it has the D&M school sign so probably, once again, an instructor.

He probably began his lectures with "Listen you 'orrible lot. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire but this Norton is 'is Majesty's property so I'll carry an extinguisher just in case..."

Nobody in his right mind would do this today with his valuable Norton 16H, and I still wouldn't fit a fire extinguisher despite these photos.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I wouldn't fit a fire extinguisher myself...but I'd have a go at that on my M20, or a 16H if there was no M20 available.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1