Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cheap Speedo's

I bought one to see what it is like. Not on the bike yet but will update you all then.

First I will need to make a replacement bracket as the bolts are at 90 degrees to the original and the speedo cable is centered rather than off-set.

The mount for the light bulb is much longer than in the image and the bulb holder is a push-in plastic unit. It will not look nice. I think it could be modified with another bulb holder and the mounting tube trimmed somewhat.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

As promised, some images. the speedo faces are clearly different

photo DSCN0200_zps9unigouc.jpg

with the units flipped left to right, you can see the mounting points are at 90 degrees to each other and the repro has the cable entry in the center (note how the mounting tube for the light is not that pretty).

photo DSCN0201_zpsulcaq8mo.jpg

there is quite a height difference too

photo DSCN0202_zpsmwxpocal.jpg

Mounted on the bike with bracket made from some aluminum scrap

photo DSCN0204_zpsbtxbqzfb.jpg
 photo DSCN0203_zpsdlvicfiu.jpg

The cable inner was too fat to fit so I had to grind it down a bit but the threads matched. The speed dial seems to read about right, but I'll test that later. The needle was steady and did not jump around.

Given how genuine speedos are getting rather pricey (they're getting up to the US$400 mark), well maybe I will leave my genuine one in the workshop and take it out for special occasions only. It would be an easy thing to steal.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I sent off for one of the T20 60mm speedos. Ordered on the Tuesday it was on the doorstep Friday afternoon, from India ! The bezel prized off relatively easy so I was able to put a copy dial face on that I had made. The pointer is hard to remove but its only glued so a bit of heat made it easier.. It was only an experiment for me for a stopgap replacement. The face sits a little deep for what I wanted, but it spins up ok and seems well built. The attachment for cable is 12mm on this one so would need an adaptor or something for a larger fitting.
Rich

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1