Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Triumph 3SW - original photo?

I saw this posted on another website. Captioned as being at Cassel in May 1940, DR having just found his destination has received a direct hit'. There seems to be a lot of shiny headed nuts, bolts and handlebar/ controls. Is it likely that a wartime bike would be so equipped? Or might we be looking at a modern 'staged' photo?

cassel may 40 tri 3sw

I am sceptical as for somewhere that has received a direct hit there is no debris around, the 'DR' has a very clean helmet and set of boots - and probably isn't a DR either. And it is convenient that a photographer just happens to be there at a front line place to catch this very well framed shot.

Of course, the photo might have been posted and reposted and acquired mislead info as it went along.

And equally it could be very genuine and I'm just an old cynic

Re: Triumph 3SW - original photo?

I'd say a modern photo...The dipswitch on the Triumph doesn't look right to me and the freshly 'bombed' building has weeds growing on top of the walls...The squaddie doesn't have a weapon either or any kit on the bike....Also clues in the tyre tread perhaps?..
The rear carrier on a WD Triumph has a bar welded inside it at the rear to pull the bike onto the rear stand so I don't think lifting handles were fitted, yet this bike has one on the nearside.....

Is that tarmac on the road?...Not that common on English or European country roads in 1940

A derelict farm building somewhere in England that has a tiled roof?...Perhaps Gloucestershire?....

That could all be wrong of course...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I agree with Ian. It's a modern staged photo! The modern dipswitch/horn push and tyres are a give away for a start. I'm not sure what that tail lamp is, it would have had a Lucas MT110 and that number plate is definitely post war. It's true that all the fixings and controls would have been dull plated, but these look like bright zinc. The guy looks to me as though he has para's trousers on?

Nothing wrong with staging such a picture, it shows great enthusiasm, and I doubt the owner tried to lie about it in the first place. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The rear light looks like an Indian copy of the post war 477/1...I note the matt black (drab green?) that has been applied over the aluminium bezel of the lamp has got scratched...

I quite like these 'staged' photos but I reckon an extreme eye for detail would be required to get one past the contributors to this forum... ...I'm sure there will be more comments in the pipeline soon enough from people more knowledgeable than me...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Agree with all the above,the tyre looks like Dunlop K70 tread pattern,the saddle its cover and springs don't look period,the upper tool box is missing,also cant see the four rivets on the rear mudguard that hold the stays on so could be a repro guard.

The early contract 3SWs do seem to have had a lot of brightwork on the handlebars.

photo Triumph 3SW 8 dec 1939_zpstkw0m875.jpg

I do like the 'fake' photos but unless you are an expert it is easy to get fooled. I have some that I have doubts about.....

If people are still wondering, it is a restoration done in 2016 by "Spirit of Britain" (Facebook)

email (option): TheScrapyard@gmx.net

Nieuwe pagina 1