Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New EU insurance law

After an incident where someone was injured by a tractor and trailer in a barn, a European court has stated that all vehicles need to be insured even if they aren't being used on the road. The UK government aren't happy about this new ruling and are deciding what to do. They are asking for input from people. Here's a link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/motor-insurance-consideration-of-the-vnuk-judgment

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: New EU insurance law

WASTE OF TIME AGREEING TO MORE CRAP EU LEGISLATION, TELLING THE GOVERNMENT MOT TO BOTHER WOULD BE A START.

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

Firstly lets not forget before the thread goes to far that this is a Netherlands based website and will probably still be in the EU in two years time and that we UK users are guests here at the moment.

However this law will affect all EU citizens possibly before the UK leaves the EU and the UK government has already announced it will be keeping all existing EU laws in a mass conversion.

Its difficult to see how this new law would even work, was this person injured on the tractor or the trailer? does that mean that all trailers would have to be insured, and that would mean anything with wheels including a spare axle??

And who would enforce it? there aren't that many policemen left in my part of Devon, so perhaps it would only be checked in the event of an accident?

As an add on to a farmers existing insurance policy it would be simple but for everyone else almost impossible.

And all rather pointless except it moves the blame away from the government squarely onto the individual, most of whom would never even know the law existed.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller
Firstly lets not forget before the thread goes to far that this is a Netherlands based website and will probably still be in the EU in two years time and that we UK users are guests here at the moment.

However this law will affect all EU citizens possibly before the UK leaves the EU and the UK government has already announced it will be keeping all existing EU laws in a mass conversion.

Its difficult to see how this new law would even work, was this person injured on the tractor or the trailer? does that mean that all trailers would have to be insured, and that would mean anything with wheels including a spare axle??

And who would enforce it? there aren't that many policemen left in my part of Devon, so perhaps it would only be checked in the event of an accident?

As an add on to a farmers existing insurance policy it would be simple but for everyone else almost impossible.

And all rather pointless except it moves the blame away from the government squarely onto the individual, most of whom would never even know the law existed.

Rob

Down here the property owner is liable for all vehicles on their land which is one reason why we can no longer hold gymkahnas .
Public liability went into a 5 figure number , about 3 times the accumulated bank balance over 25 years.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

The UK government also have no idea how to proceed with this court ruling that no body wants. I don't see how the government can be blamed for an accident on private land? This is purely because an individual has taken someone else to court because they've been injured in a barn. A typical EU court over reaction to a situation.
A working farm will have liability insurance etc so this ruling has been made to cover every other type of vehicle that isn't covered by road insurance. It was the phrase "Intended use" the court stated a vehicle must be covered for. If a vehicle like a tractor or an off road motorbike is on private land and has never been registered with DVLA, they wouldn't know it existed. The problem arises when there's an accident and someone claims.

As the UK users of this forum are guests Rob, does that mean we have to work out a deal to keep using this forum when the UK leaves the EU

I'M SURE WE WILL BE ABLE TO NEGOTIATE OUR OWN "FREE CHAT DEAL" (IF THAT'S OK WITH HENK).

Well OK! But what about this situation for instance. Most insurance companies will only insure a non registered vehicle against its frame number for a short time. Something like a few weeks depending on the company. (Some will not even do it at all). So how do you stand with say a Welbike? Which can't be road registered in the UK as they don't meet the required standards of road-worthiness.....Or any other vehicle that is not considered for registration by DVLA or VOSA.

The other thing is, our ordinary motor insurance doesn't cover you for an event/show/school fete etc. Where you might leave your vehicle untended and someone hurts themselves on it. MADNESS I know! But that is a fact and is the reason that our Dorset MV enthusiasts club have all chipped in to buy some 'Public Liability' insurance. It's something that I felt dead against on principle, but reluctantly paid my share which is just a tenner a year and gives me PL cover of up to £5,000,000.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Don't panic chaps.

the otehrwise generally useless IKBA site has a thread which contains some sense.
http://www.ikba.co.uk/

Scroll down through the usual diarrhea for VNUK judgement thread.

This proposed EU nonsense seem to rear it's head about once a year. As it seems to be almost unworkable it will likely fade away like a lot of other EU BS directed at motor transport over the years.

Besides which it looks as if there is a very good chance that the whole EU will implode within the next 5 years anyway.

Stop that cheering at the back

Hi Ron

I think the Welbike situation has probably changed, we don't need an MOT anymore so we can register them, but we still can't take them on the public highway with the standard braking setup. But with a registration we can at least insure them and take them to shows.

Rob

But Rob, I want to ride my Welbike into town and I've already fallen fowl of VOSA in the past. I got a spanking from Laura, Ron Rawling's lovely daughter in law. Ron

HANG ON A MINUTE RON, "SPANKING"?

QUESTION 1.... WHY SHOULD YOU GET PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT ?

QUESTION 2.... WHERE DO THE REST OF US SIGN UP ?

Ah Pete! Lovely as she is, you would not want it! It was back in my tipper truck days. I'd failed to notify VOSA that we'ed changed our 7.5 ton tipper. My operators licence covered me for up to five vehicles and Foolishly I hadn't notified them of a change of vehicle.

The spanking from Laura (roadside VOSA) was one thing and she did try to stop it going any further after she'd called me in for a long interview! But her head office had other ideas about making an example of such a blatant criminal. I was called up to Bristol to face a 'Public Enquiry' and ordered to re-apply for another operators licence if I wanted to continue in business, by which time we had not been able to use the truck for about 6 months. Fortunately it didn't effect the use of the 3.5 tonners.

It was at about this time that I retired to let a younger man carry on.

Rant over, and back to bikes. Ron

If you attend an event with the welbike, then you really need to get Public Liability insurance yourself, it's not expensive and will cover you should "little Johnny" scrape his knee etc. On your gear.
We only pay £5-50p / person.

Hi Jim

Who do you pay the £5.50 to and is that per year or per event?

Rob

Shows and mixing with the public is one thing, but the accident that happened was on private property. A friend of mine has a very large garden (field) and her son rides a motorbike around it. According to this ruling, he will need insurance to use his bike in case he injures someone.

Rob Miller
Hi Jim

Who do you pay the £5.50 to and is that per year or per event?

/quote]
HELLO ROB,
I pay £5.50 per year. My mate and I use the NFU scheme. We go through a gentleman by the name of Dave Hoyle. If you would like some further gen contact me off forum.
TTFN PETE.

does it matter we will not be in the EU soon

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

roger
does it matter we will not be in the EU soon

Rob Miller wrote on 12th February :-

"Firstly lets not forget before the thread goes to far that this is a Netherlands based website and will probably still be in the EU in two years time and that we UK users are guests here at the moment.

However this law will affect all EU citizens possibly before the UK leaves the EU and the UK government has already announced it will be keeping all existing EU laws in a mass conversion."

His comments were correct then and I'm not aware that they have been overtaken by circumstances.

Nieuwe pagina 1