Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ring position

What is the position of the pistonrings gap Looking over the net there are different stories But the truth will come from the experts of this forum

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: ring position

Some books will tell you to place the ring gaps at intervals around the piston. But since the rings are not pegged and therefore will work there way around the piston, I can't see any point in it. But I can't help myself from spacing them anyway and they can then do what they want afterwards Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've always been told apart from each other so that they don't line up. E.g. 20 past, 40 past and on the hour if you get the clock-metaphor. But they will probably move around later on when running the engine...
(don't know if I'm an expert?)

I fit them out of line but not by much..So, bottom ring gap, then offset the middle ring gap by say 20 degrees and then fit the top ring in line with the bottom one...

Not setting them too far apart make things easier with the ring compressor...

It has worked fine like that for me..Unfortunately it's usually so long until the engine is stripped again I always forget to look and see whether they have moved whilst running!... ...

As two stroke rings are pegged to stop them moving and fouling the ports, then by inference the rings will move during service...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
It has worked fine like that for me..Unfortunately it's usually so long until the engine is stripped again I always forget to look and see whether they have moved whilst running!... ...

Yupp! Kinda like that for me too, or if something goes wrong and I take it apart again I'm to focused on finding whats wrong to remember looking at ring gaps...

When fitting new rings to a bore that have not sealed, it is important to rotate the gaps to help the rings bed in.
If you are hust refitting the same rings in the same barrel it does not matter.
And yes after a few hours they will rotate in the ring grove but fr initial start up they need all the help they can get otherwise you might find running in takes a very long time.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Some barrels have cutaways and the rings need to be spaced so the end of a ring doesn't go into one of them and snap off. I've just put the barrels on a Norton Commando and this is mentioned in the service manual. It says space the ring gap, top to the front, second to the back and oil scraper to the side. The top 2 rings and inch to the left and right of the conrod cutaway.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Well 2 stroke rings have to avoid the ports so they have pegs in the grooves to stop them turning. I don't think you could expect the rings to stay in the same place without the pegs. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks so much for your input.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1