Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New MW20 owner

Don't run it on a lean mixture either, they can get pretty hot.

I always put a bit of lead replacement in the tank, though I am not convinced it does any good (or harm).

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I always use Super Unleaded from an independent Esso station as they've assured me that it's the one with the least Ethanol in it. I always also put in a squirt of Fry's Anti Ethanol. I just do the best I can based on the theory that even if I'm not doing much good, I'm not doing any harm. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I like to keep life simple...Pump petrol is available everywhere and you just fill it up...As long as that works there seems little point in using additives IMO...

Likewise in France..I just fill it up from the pumps and can't say I've experienced any problems...

With ethanol at the current levels in the bulk of UK fuel (avoid E85!)I don't think corrosion is an issue other than the possible effects on some rubber pipes and washers if used...

Much of the 'doom and gloom' reporting of ethanol related problems in club magazines etc. reminds me of the same thing that happened with the introduction of lead free fuel..It's just a convenient hook to hang all the problems of poorly prepared and maintained bikes...

Petrol degrading beyond useable in a month?. Don't make me laugh......

Draining and flushing the tank out once or twice a year should be sufficient to negate the effects of accumulated water in the tank..

If I actually thought there was a problem I'd soon address it as I use old bikes for my main form of transport but currently I don't believe that's the case and I've yet to see any hard evidence for it with my own bikes....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Old petrol doesn't affect the starting on any of my BSAs but it does affect the starting on my Velocette Viper.

I agree with Ian. Especially the WM bikes. One of their design criteria was they should run well on crap gas. I have an eclectic collection of motorcycles and here in the US, all gas has at least 10% ethanol. I always add a small amount of Seafoam to each tank-full and don't seem to have any issues at all. Ethanol gas does seem to swell and weaken seals and 0-rings though.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1