Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Exhaust paint

Look folks ,I have been using and selling hi temp paint for over 40 years, on wood stove and stainless chimeys inside and outside, THE VERY BEST IS MADE BY FOREST PAINTS (OF USA),marketed in the uk in trade packs, and 400ml aerosol tins, ALL so called heat proof paint is not waterproof,, the next best is senotherm (german), sold widely as Jotul woodstove paint, I list both brands on E bay in the woodstove shop canterbury/herne bay kent,, Beware if its cheap it is nasty, no doubt about this,Andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

The majority of exhaust systems seem to have been dull chromed or similar early on but photographic evidence seems to suggest that by mid-war, black systems were being fitted.

Correct me if I am wrong (you will of course!) but isn't dull chrome essentially nickel plating with a very thin plating of chrome on top........therefore not very durable, especially on an exhaust pipe? Thus the factory finish would not have lasted long. Presumably the factory applied black finish was cylinder black paint or some such?

Dull chrome would have been applied over copper and nickel originally...It's durability is the same as bright chrome and governed (in both cases) by the thickness of the nickel and particularly the copper deposits...

Both bright chrome and dull chrome are porous and the layers below protect the base metal...

There is a well known picture of late war M20s on the production line which I can't find at the moment...That would probably confirm whether BSA changed over to black exhausts...I didn't think they did but stand to be corrected on that point...

As it now getting more difficult to obtain the correct dull chrome finish IMO the blasted stainless has to be the way to go for durability and a reasonable match to the plated finish...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1