Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum picture

I find it difficult to judge other cultures and situations. Isn't it the case that vehicles in military paint schemes are forbidden in India ? Gloss SCC No.2 might be as close as one can get.

....at least he hasn't awarded himself parachute wings.

Whatever the rights and wrongs it is still nice to see enthusiasm for looking after them.

Interesting side stand indeed...am looking for one ....
Anybody know where I would get a similar one..
Be handy for all them ciggy stops....................

email (option): jmmycmullen@aol.com

Well, at least his is riding his BSA....

Even with many 'wrong' parts and all the jokes that's been made of him by all the experts who have everything correct on their bikes he rides the make most of you love the best.

Who is the idiot here?

Look in your mirror and ask yourself what gives you the right to judge another enthusiast.

Regards,

Sven

p.s. the long side stand is still for sale in Holland. I'm willing to help collect:

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/onderdelen-oldtimers/m1121935279-bsa-m20-fieldstand-wo2.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr&pos=4

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Well said Sven

I agree with Svens sentiment...I often think it is a greater achievement to run an old bike in a country so far removed from all the 'back up' we tend to take for granted..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I too agree with Svens sentiments, but reading back trough this thread I don't see that anyone was being that rude Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

But maybe while defending against gentle jibes that would be levelled against any photo like this, you just end up being patronising?

I like a good laugh and I think that if we all take ourselves too seriously, then you lose the fantastic flavour of this site. On one hand we have the experts who know a hell of a lot to offer by way of advice and then you have the novices asking questions. As with all forums, we ape society in general, and contain a huge mix of people and nationalities. This gives a mix you won't often find on other forums, have a laugh, as long as nobody is hurt in the process I don't see anything wrong with it ie the dating service that was offered recently, though serous, had the piss ripped out of it and nobody got hurt.

I am sure the Indian rider was not offended by our comments because he never saw them, but if he was a member and objected, he would have got an apology.

I made the mistake of posting a photo of my Matchless on another site and received the comment that it was like Eric Morecombe's piano playing.......all the right bits, but not necessarily in the right order! Was I upset about this? Yes, I bloody was, being a downtrodden minority (Scottish) ridiculed by all and sundry (well, Ron at least)!

I don't ever remember ridiculing you or your bike Ferg We have definitely shared a difference of opinion on a number of occasions! Some guys like the oily rag weather beaten war weary look. I prefer a fresh from the factory look. That is absolutely fine.
I don't like VW beetles or Porsche's but millions do.

Some years ago I used to get emails for advice from an Indian guy with a bike like that one, from memory it looks very similar to that one that was posted as the forum picture. If it is the same guy, he was actually a doctor or surgeon and apart from polishing it and riding it, he always entrusted it to his mechanic......And I've seen him riding it in Jesus saddles Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jesus had a special saddle for his M20?

shome mishtake shurely?

people being 'offended' on the behalf of someone they have never met,when that person allegedly 'offended' will likely never read that which was meant to offend.

Now, that, is what is patronising?

Indian guys are quite capable of defending themselves and my Indian mate here in UK has a very robust sense of humour for such things.

Times they are a-changing.

There's the principle as well as the individual...

It's probably best not to start directly criticising anyone unless you know their circumstances and know them well enough to be sure of their reaction...

If not, when is it OK and how far is OK...?..This forums runs well (unlike others) without overt criticism of anyone and that's probably a situation worth adhering to IMO...

That's not patronising anyone, it's just a question of politeness...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ken
Jesus had a special saddle for his M20?

Obviously I meant sandals Spellchecker took over!

I love a debate....an argument even! As long as there's no rudeness or "ridicule" along the way. I would never purposely criticise anyone's bike or their efforts unless they specifically asked for a critique.

Ron

I knew that Ron.

To be fair, Ron has never ridiculed my Matchless, unless the comment "What is that pile of AMC crap, you Haggis munching bar-steward", counts as such? Lets face it, if you really think that riding 70 year old single cylinder motorcycles with the performance of an LE Velocette on one cylinder is fun, you really have to have a stong sense of humour and self-deprecation.

I think the term was "Jockaneze porridge gobbler"

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis

" Kinda makes ya feel homesick, don't it"

Ron

Now ask him about his choice of carriage to take his new bride away.

aye, this time nex' year wull be mullionaires ye ken,

Aaaah, haggis, can't find that in Holland...

Ken, have you been peeking at this? The shame!

Hans WDM20 58764
Aaaah, haggis, can't find that in Holland...

Careful for what you wish for Hans! There are rumours that some got aboard an 18th century Dutch ship and could be breeding in the remote Highlands of Holland

They could be upon you and it would be worse than "The Hunting of the Snark" Ron

That's it Ferg, have you no shame?

Stil, only a true Scot[Aberdeen?] would buy a Reliant just to save the cost of one tyre

"Careful for what you wish for Hans! There are rumours that some got aboard an 18th century Dutch ship and could be breeding in the remote Highlands of Holland ".

This is partially correct Ron, but as everyone knows, Holland is flat and due to millions of years breeding on the side of mountains, the Haggis has one leg shorter than the other. The Haggi that escaped in Holland therefore tragically ran round in circles until they disappeared up their own orrifices.

Intensively farmed Haggis in a tin if you really must.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAGGIS-Grants-Scottish-Premium-Tinned-Haggis-392g-food-from-Scotland-6-tins-/111415411128?hash=item19f0e041b8:g:6CsAAOSwDk5Tzn57

or you could have a ride out to Picardy and get Andouillette, which are a bit less dead.

We were given a meal of andouilette and black salsify at a French bike meeting. I went to bed rather hungry that evening.

You weren't hungry enough then Rik, at a French bike club do back in 1991 after a day and a half with not much grub, and in winter on a bike too,I wolfed down two of them,to the admiration of the rest of the club, and was made an honorary Picard on the spot.

All I could say was Oink Oink.

The end that I got wasn't the end that goes 'oink', I fear.

Nieuwe pagina 1