Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tipped up silencer

Armour's have just followed up a query from a customer and asked me where I got the information for the WD M20 tipped up silencer. So I scanned the information below for their records.

The pictures come from my 1944 dated illustrated parts list which covers the two main RAF contracts which was over a period of 1941-1944. I just noticed that the picture included in the list is of a bike from contract C7287 (17,000 bikes in 1940/41). So it would seem that this silencer was used pretty well all through the war? Ron

photo scan-170120-0002_zpsyhudpoei.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Tipped up silencer

Hi Ron, It is great you participated in making the tipped up silencer available from Armours, I had one complete set in stainless from them a few years back, it looked great and had a nice bark. I intend to order another set for my other BSA.

My latest project on the other thread has an original tipped up silencer so if they/you need any measuments let me know.

The original silencer is much more quiet than the Armours one which is surprising as it is completely hollow with only two special formed in and outlet tubes with some holes.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Hi Michiel. The construction of the Armours silencer is a perforated tube through the centre of the silencer, which has stainless wire wool packed around it. Their original construction consisted of ordinary steel wool, which very quickly corroded and blew out through the tail pipe over time.

I don't think their baffle system bares much resemblance to the original construction method.

I just ordered one for a guy in Devon who insisted that he wanted them to leave out the wire wool wading. I advised him not to as he will seriously upset his neighbours. But it seems he hates them anyway. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I bought my tipped up silencer from "London" here in Holland some 8 years ago.
Fitted like a glove.
Don't know what's inside, but the sound is good, not to loud.

It has a dull silver coating that is holding very well over the years.

Thanks for the tip, Michel, Will ask them, much closer

I have also a 'London'-made silencer and down tube for my WDM20; it was fitted at the shop, and I had it 'Schoop'-treated: hot spray with a mixture of alu/zinc. It seems it was used on Norton silencers and after the war on the Dutch Triumph 3TA army bikes. Excellent heat resistance !

Nieuwe pagina 1