Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALUMINIUM SHORTAGE.

Some time during 1943 Triumph changed over to steel brake shoes,due to the aluminium shortage,they had been using a steel oil pump cover and primary chain cases on the earlier 3HW models in 1942,part number is W564 I think they are a drop forged part not cast,they turn up at jumbles now and then but as they are hidden on the bike they are probably not that sought after,but as a part made due to the aluminium shortage they are an unseen part of the wartime history of the bike.  photo DSC_0629_zps5lp428hm.jpg

Re: ALUMINIUM SHORTAGE.

That will add quite some extra weight to the unsprung mass of the bike but it's a nice detail.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk Joore
That will add quite some extra weight to the unsprung mass of the bike but it's a nice detail.

Henk.

Not at the rear, it won't and on the later bikes they saved unsprung mass at the front by removing the ammeter and switch panel. The smaller headlamps must have been lighter too. I doubt that anyone noticed though.

I'm not aware that Norton ever did this and their only concession seems to have been the steel plate tappet cover.

Some BSA brake shoes are made of a mixed alloy which presumably has less Aluminium?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

W/NGs used steel brake shoes too.

email (option): simon.holyfield@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1