Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA sidecars

Rob, have you found any evidence of the British Army using purpose-built sidecars (rather than ad-hoc use) or were they pretty much RAF / other services ?

Hi Rik

I was using "Military" as a general all services term probably wrongly.

The British Army used various impressed combinations after Dunkirk and of course there was the big4 with various sidecars but I have seen no evidence of Army use of the WM20/Swallow model 8 combination only RAF.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Well that's quite a little history lesson and in a short space of time, many thanks
Ok so my plan is to fit a sidecar to my '43 WM20 if for no other reason than to carry my camping gear etc. when I go touring in Europe. How do I identify a BSA manufactured sidecar. Does it have a 'signature' chassis shape, particular part numbers, distinct shape or what? Any ideas?

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

Hi Roy

Most BSA chassis are usually triangular in form, wartime period Swallow chassis are a quite similar 4 sided shape to the common Watsonian VG21 but they usually have "SWALLOW" in raised letters on them.

Fitting a sidecar to carry extra luggage is an option, but don't forget if you haven't tried it before, riding a combination is completely different to any other vehicle and has to be learned.

Also you will be stuck in traffic and have to pay to park everywhere you go.

But its great fun.

Rob

Thank you all for your responses, I think I know which way I will go now unlike my first drive on an outfit in 1966 at the tender age of 18, the first ten miles were critical and I think both sides of my brain were forced to co-operate but, I lived to tell the tale. I find driving an outfit is a bit like learning to ride a push bike, once you've got it you've got it irrespective of the time away but, caution is always the watch word.

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

Also correct set up of the sidecar to the bike is critical for an enjoyable ride, so make sure you are familiar with that...Setting up on a rigid framed bike is detailed in some of the older motorcycle books/publications...

Sidecar wheel 'lead' from the back wheel, 'toe in' setting for the sidecar wheel and 'lean out' of the bike are the key elements...

It might be worth considering a later 'long' Lucas dynamo for the increased lighting demand...In the past I usually ran a car sized battery in the sidecar as well...A 6 volt VW Beetle battery will do it...

Also I ran all the sidecar wiring through a 'jack plug' to make sidecar removal easier when required....

Finally, before you fit a sidecar make sure the primary drive (clutch/chain etc.) are in good shape...Sidecar pulling is heavy on the transmission and when fitted make maintenance of that side of the bike a lot more awkward...

Also, depending on what you have fitted currently, you may need to lower the gearing by fitting a smaller engine sprocket... Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A question for Rob Miller really... Do we know the wheel size on WM20 GPO outfits?

email (option): carolaandjon@manx.net

Hi Jon

They used 3.25 19 Dunlop Universals with a WD stamp

I will send you some pictures

Rob

Nieuwe pagina 1