Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ebay trash

I certainly wish there were a way to filter all posts from India out of Ebay searches. I am so sick and tired of having to go through 20 pages of Indian garbage to see the 4 good things that are on there. I fiddled with it a bit, but I don't think it can be done, can it????

Re: Ebay trash

Hi Samuel,

Try this ...
Go to the upper right of the ebay page and select "Advanced" (next to the "Search" button).
Scroll down the screen to the "Location" section and you will see two options. You may choose one. The first is "From preferred locations" (select "From UK Only" in the drop down) while the other is "Located in" (select "United Kingdom" from the drop down). Make sure you select the circle on the left of either of these options so it is darkened, and therefor is selected. Finally, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the "Search" button.

I hope this works for you!

Regards, Scott

You could also try searching for 'used' parts, by filtering out 'new' parts - there is an eBay filter to let you do this, though I realise this sometimes filters out NOS parts and you may be looking for new stuff anyway.

By the way - you should try looking for Ariel parts. It's amazing quite how many antennae come up, let alone Disney Mermaids.

email (option): simon.holyfield@btinternet.com

Thanks Scott,

Just done that, i have a search for girder forks and parts and i cannot be bothered to trail through all the crap that comes out of India. Just checked it and it now shows all UK parts and 90% are original used and NOS parts.
Thanks for the tip.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Thanks Scott, that does help considerably, but I wish there were a way to exclude areas rather than just pick a single one, although much good stuff comes out of the UK, I have gotten some nice things from all over the world also, excluding India. One thing I have noticed is that many more items from the UK seem to pop up using this method than just doing a regular search, that's great!

why not just select nearest first in the drop down?

ebay defaults a UK search to the USA, but using the ebay filters you can narrow down your search to specific areas, used/new/knackered and so on.

Biggest pain is that you can't make the search a sticky, used to be able to once, just one of ebays many tricks to make us buy from the USA, they make more money that way.

The search function is Boolean so you can exclude things in the search.
Hit the advance search link and on the new window that opens up ,
the top data box, titled "Enter keywords or item number"
you type in what you want to search for, eg "BSA Girder Fork"

Just under that window is a second one titled "Exclude words from your search"
In this window type in India, Indian, Copy , Reproduction etc etc

Under that section is 3 check boxes, tick the " Title and description" one

Now click the search button on the bottom of the page.

When the search comes up quickly run through it to check it.
If you get the results you want, double click on the title bar IN THE BROWSER WINDOW, not in the EBAY window.
It will look similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/dsc/i.html?_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_nkw=BSA+Motorcycle+bike+-india&_ipg=200&rt=nc.

Save the text line on your computer as a text file by cut & paste into whatever you usually save test to then cut & paste it back into evilbay when you want to do the search again.

The other option is to save the search, from the SAVE option in the browsers drop down menu.
When you want to search again, open the saved window then hit the refresh / reload link and evilbay will do the search again.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I'll fiddle with it and see what happens, thanks Trevor.

I've done that with some of my searches. For BSA badge, I've filtered out LOADS of words, but still keep getting badges up from the USA, for Boy Scouts Association! My searches for Triumph parts, are just ridiculous. I've had to filter out so many words, just to avoid Hinkley parts, it's filled the search criteria box, and I STILL get Hinkley parts pop up. why can't they invent new names for new bikes? it'll be the same with Mahindra BSAs.

email (option): oldjunk@btinternet.com

Hi Ken,

If you are defaulting to the USA on ebay, it sounds like you are using the http://www.ebay.com address. I was using the UK ebay and it had defaults to the UK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/).

cheers,
Scott

Searching for 'Norton' is a problem if you want to find things that have been put in the wrong category due to the name of the anti-virus products (or in France, equine accessories)...and why do Americans have to refer to anything over ten years old as 'vintage' ?

There should be an eBay category 'old British motorcycles' - On eBay Australia they do at least have a 'classic / vintage parts' category but uk doesn't which means searching for something like a brake lever if the seller doesn't know the manufacturer is impossible as all the modern stuff comes up.

Nothing compares with the spamming by the Indian sellers though. Tens of identical badly-photographed objects often at different prices.

It is not perfect but good enough
Getting rid of all references to Boy Scouts America is a PIA.
You need about 40 words to exclude, including plurals .
But if it drops the finds from 16,000 down to 600 that is good enough for me
When the search return has loaded go to the left side bar and left click on the catagory you want to look in ie Autos or Car & Bike parts
That should bring up just those in a new window or tab.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1