Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 sidestand.

Anyone know of a suitable sidestand to fit my mates M20.?
Yes I know its prob not standard and some may say sacrilege to fit but he struggles with the main stand on frequent stops.
Was there one for civilian BSA models that might fit?
Cheers
Geoff

email (option): geoff.gat@gmail.com

Re: M20 sidestand.

Geoff I just used one of the universal side stands on my M20/Indian special. I found that the clamp could swivel on the frame tube no matter how tight the bolts, so I backed it up with a fillet of mig weld at the back of the clamp. I also welded a 'get at prong' on the foot. It's probably made in India so I don't put a lot of faith in it. But it's handy if I just want to open a gate or park for a moment. Ron
 photo Indian S 248_zpsaw1aurgo.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron
The one you used looks suitable for the smaller tube on the Bsa frame, or did you have to use packers? (Most pattern ones ive seen are for the larger cradle tubes on brit bikes.)
Cheers
Geoff

Is he looking for something like this ? It has a BSA part number but I haven't been able to identify it. Clamp is a tight 7/8"

photo IMG_1206_zpsmxy0sann.jpg

The number looks to be BSA 8 65-47

photo IMG_1207_zps4rvycnjn.jpg

That looks to be the prop stand for the C10/11 from the early 1950s.

Would you consider selling?

I'd like nothing better than to get shot of it ! In all fairness, I feel that I should give Geoff first refusal. Presumably it won't fit an M20 though ?

If I understand the Draganfly diagram correctly, the full part number has two extra digits but the 65 prefix seems to suggest M models with the C having a 67 prefix.

photo 18_sideStand_zps7tym7tuc.gif

I believe it to be the same forging but different part number to reflect where the spring post is attached, hence the last 2 digits are covered.

Regards,

Peter

That makes a lot of sense, Peter. Do you need any extra dimensions ? As you can see, the spring has been trapped and I don't have the clamp back. Apart from that it just has general wear underneath but no real damage that I can see.

That looks good to me.

Thanks,

peter.allen*55
AT
bt*open*world.Kom

Remove all three *, AT = @ and replace Kom with com.

No packers used Geoff! The lower frame rails on an M20 are 7/8" and I think those stands come in 7/8" and 1".

I also would have liked Rik's genuine BSA stand, but I'm down the queue and I wont sulk if you or Pete buy it.

Regards Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interesting post....I was just about to ask the same question.
It's a hard job for me to get the bike on the rear stand too particularly on frequent stops....

email (option): jmmycmullen@aol.com

Hi Rick sorry about delay in reply.
Been away.
Yes am interested if still avail.
Perhaps you could email me with price etc.
Tks Geoff

I had one of these stands on an early BSA B31 the previous owner must have had the same trouble it had been welded on

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

There's a sidestand on the forum picture!

cheers Menno

these clamp on stands compress the lower frame rails and often pivot on it, If you do fit one, and they can be made quite easily, pop a roll pin through it once clamped in the correct position, if I were to fit one to the W/NG, and I quite possibly will, I would try to adapt a plate for attaching to an engine plate or similar to avoid the clamp type problems.
as an aside I have had half the bottom rail of a compressed BSA A7 swing arm frame cut out, a strengthening tube inserted and the piece replaced to prevent the side stand causing the problem again. kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1