Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lodge plug

I use NOS KLGs in the 16H and have always run Champions in the Commando. Over thirty years, I don't recall any problems. Even donkey's years ago, I regularly had trouble with NGKs in 2-strokes straight from the box.

I've not found NOS 18mm Lodge's so can't comment on those.

Since Europe and most other countries banned the use of hexavalent chrome in manufacturing, the gold passivated look has disappeared from almost everything. I wouldn't regard the absence of the gold colour as evidence of where something was made anymore, simply of it being old stock and plug manufacturers now say that they have a restricted shelf life which I've not detected.

I do regard mica and detachable porcelain plugs as rather for posing around at events only rather than constant use.

Thanks
I hadn't realised that gold hue had gone from modern NGKs although it is only one of several pointers as to whether a NGK is genuine. Another is supposed to be if the plug cap end threads are rounded off or abrupt. No rounding off is supposed to denote a chinese copy. Whatever the marque chatrooms appear to be showing a marked increase in NGK specific problems. I've seen it in XT500 and Guzzi forums [yes I have those too]. Plugs not working over a range of conditions and plugs having a very short service life.
Off topic my SP400 was a gutless slug until decorked and Amaled, where upon it would hit an indicated 90, probably no more than 85. I have several DR400s using the same engine, and although it is a lovely motor, my tuned XT500 is a monster by comparison. A Dick Mann mk4 540: probably chucking out 35 bhp with a torque curve like a kitchen table. I do like singles. The Guzzi is a Nuovo Falcone, a modern take on an M21.

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Yeh RiK I do run my 16H with a Bosch after having predetonation with the supposedly correct Champion, but then the comparison charts never agree...
I had a problem with a very weak spark under load with the detachable that came with the bike. Only manifested itself under load up a hill. On a recent cake run to Knighton [very fine gluten free cakes on farmers market day] I had the same problem with the Pacy. Down to 10mph nursing the throttle up the steep Welsh Marches hills. As I came into town I noticed a head gasket leak every time I opened the thottle. Odd I thought these nuts haven't moved in 71 years, why now? All was quickly revealed. The detachable spark plug, whilst firm in the head was in fact detaching....

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

question you asked: has anyone used lodge plugs.

my answer: yes. give them a clean and if they spark alright they are probably good to go.

your answer: you don't need that sort of information as you have been doing it since umpteen hundred and wotsit. ''I just wanted people's experience with Lodge, but there doesn't seem to be any''

my reply is now: you aint the only one who has been around buddy. don't ask a question such as: has anyone used lodge plugs, if you don't want an answer to that question!

lodge plugs work fine as I have already said, but your presumption doesn't.

If you'd been clear that you were talking about Lodge in particular and not plugs in general then I would have expressed my thanks.

Nieuwe pagina 1