Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spoke Keys

Folks, today I needed to tighten up one or two spokes on my W/NG. I'm very familiar with the standard toolkit for the bike, and there is nothing particularly suitable for adjusting the spokes.

What was the rider intended to use?

email (option): simon.holyfield@btinternet.com

Re: Spoke Keys

Spoke keys don't seem to appear in any motorcycle tool kit, the powers probably decided it was a job for the workshops either at a unit level or perhaps higher.

Each day every driver was ordered to carry out a check of any vehicle they had been issued as part of the task system and they would report defects of this type to their superiors who would decide on the urgency of the repair.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Simon, Good Day.

You can buy spoke keys or spoke wrench via e-bay or perhaps motorcycle spare-parts shop near by your place. But before hand, you need to determine the spoke nipple size.In my case as for the spoke gauge 8 for rear wheel and gauge 9 for front wheel, I'm using spoke wrench as below. In case if you bought it under size, modification can be done by grind the wrench opener using hand grinder.

As for the tighten up the spoke, please do not over tighten it as it will pull out or pull in your wheel trueness. Some tips, first, mark the loose spoke and tighten it up by hand and then tighten it up using the spoke wrench with mild force turning and every turning movement, pluck or tap the spoke by hand till you get almost sharp and crispy sound but do not over doing it otherwise you need to truing the whole wheel by using the dial test indicator.

Good luck.

email (option): roslansubri@gmail.com

Rob Miller
Spoke keys don't seem to appear in any motorcycle tool kit, the powers probably decided it was a job for the workshops either at a unit level or perhaps higher.

Each day every driver was ordered to carry out a check of any vehicle they had been issued as part of the task system and they would report defects of this type to their superiors who would decide on the urgency of the repair.

Rob

I guess it is pretty easy to make a mess of spoke adjustment. I can see from the 1944 workshop manual for the W/NG that riders were not asked to adjust spokes.

Do we have an understanding of what tasks unit and divisional workshops would do?

email (option): simon.holyfield@btinternet.com

Hard to say, I have an original Ordnance stores indent form from 342nd MT Training centre, New Barracks, Gosport dated 1/11/1940 asking for an M20 mag sprocket puller, and a reply from the Command Ordnance Depot Hilsea, Portsmouth saying no, "Item issued to workshops only".

There was an enormous workshop system in operation and it appears no one was allowed to make unauthorised adjustments or repairs.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The bloke who put in the request should have been put on a charge anyway for calling a 'gear' a 'sprocket'... ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1