Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3HW OVER STAMP.

Has any one seen this before on a Triumph frame the letter L has been over stamped with the frame number 5 it should be TL.57965 it looks like it left the factory like that as there is no sign that it has been altered,I have most of the parts for this bike so hope to get it on the road one day,but would there be problems registering.  photo DSC_0627_zpsmk0vaswc.jpg

Re: 3HW OVER STAMP.

The other number on the frame looks ok,the engine number is 3HW 64259 which is not matching but I think from the same year 1945.  photo DSC_0628_zps1ngimwmv.jpg

Steve TL.57965 is from the very last batch of 5200 from the original reduced contract of 8000 in 1945. The other stamp 'Triumph Engineering Co May 1945' fits in with that exactly. As you probably know, the engine number sequence was 1000 ahead of the frames so your engine is earlier from the same contract.

If your frame number was stamped like that in the factory it must have been done by someone not used to the job. The Triumph frame stampings that I've encountered have all been neater.

The problem that I envisage is obtaining a dating letter from the TOC or MVT where you can't show them a complete frame number. If as you think it's a genuine cock up at the factory and if it were mine....I'd correct the mistake prior to any DVLA application/inspection. A roughly stamped frame number is not an issue as long as it's legible and considered original......You should see some of the stampings that came out of the Velo works

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for info Ron,will probably leave it as it is,and do some more research on the numbers on Triumph frames,if it turns out there are similar errors I wouldn't want to mess with an original stamped number,as a big fan of these Triumps will look at the numbers on my other three,plus a spare front frame that I have,would like to do a 1945 bike as I heve most of the late parts for it,forks,tank,lighting,etc.

Very interesting, my frame number is TL58543 and seat marking TEC 7 45 so was this also one of the last batch? Engine number 38796S, which I think is much earlier.

Ron Pier
Steve TL.57965 is from the very last batch of 5200 from the original reduced contract of 8000 in 1945. The other stamp 'Triumph Engineering Co May 1945' fits in with that exactly. As you probably know, the engine number sequence was 1000 ahead of the frames so your engine is earlier from the same contract.

If your frame number was stamped like that in the factory it must have been done by someone not used to the job. The Triumph frame stampings that I've encountered have all been neater.

The problem that I envisage is obtaining a dating letter from the TOC or MVT where you can't show them a complete frame number. If as you think it's a genuine cock up at the factory and if it were mine....I'd correct the mistake prior to any DVLA application/inspection. A roughly stamped frame number is not an issue as long as it's legible and considered original......You should see some of the stampings that came out of the Velo works

Ron

Ron ...are you being disrespectful about the great Velocette marque ?????

John D
Very interesting, my frame number is TL58543 and seat marking TEC 7 45 so was this also one of the last batch? Engine number 38796S, which I think is much earlier.

Yes John, yours appears to be one of the very last from that last contract. I calculate it to be the 5126th bike from the 5200 supplied with census number C6106543.

Sorry Andy. Weird lot them Velocette owners. I'm hoping Matron will let me out today, especially since I didn't wet the bed Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My local biker dealer in the old days used to call them the 'V' men...a separate race in his opinion.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1