Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crank case breather?

Aloha, and happy holidays to you all!

I currently live in a different place than my M21, but during the holidays I get to spend some time working on it. O the joy!

How is the crank case breather set up on these bikes? I notice there is a breather hole at the rear bottom of the oil tank as well, but that is just for the oil tank itself? Or do they connect in some way?

Re: Crank case breather?

The pipe on the oiltank is the vent pipe for the tank and not involved in any way with the crank case breather assembly...

WDM21s had the crank case breather located in the drive side crank case half just below the barrel base..Postwar engines from 1948 had it located in the timing cover...

In both locations the breather works in the same way...Internally a small Bakelite disc is trapped between the breather fittings...When the piston descends the resultant pressure pushes the (flap) valve disc of its seat and air is displaced from the crank case..

When the piston rises the partial vacuum created pull the disc back onto its seat, shutting the valve...This reduces the total amount of air drawn into the cases...

The process is the repeated on the next cycle...No spring is fitted to the valve..It functions only by air pressure and vacuum...

This reduces mechanical pumping losses created by moving all the air in and out of the crank case...

There are slight variations in the internal fitting that holds the disc and two basic versions of the valve fitted in the timing cover..That was altered to reduce oil losses through the breather. Actual breather function is the same for all types...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Many thank Ian!

I guess I should have been more specific... I only needed to know where the hose goes.

On my -69 Bonneville I have routed the breather to the oil tank to take care of the slight oil mist och froth and then another breather from the tank. This is not oroginal, and I know there are many, many versions of how to do this so that's why I aksed.

regards,

simon

The oil tank vent pipe is a two piece construction...A short rubber connector of the same dimensions as the ones in the engine oil pipes and a length of copper tube...

It goes basically, vertically downwards from under the oil tank and terminates just below the lower edge of the gearbox mounting plates where it vents to atmosphere...

At the lower end the copper pipe is clipped to the gearbox plates using a 'P' clip and a 1/4" cycle nut and bolt...

You will see the drilling for the 1/4" bolt in the gearbox plate just behind the rear gearbox mounting bolt...Ian

And the crank case breather hose just goes down somewhere in a similar manner as the vent pipe from the oil tank?

/s

The crank case breather pipe is copper all the way...Cadmium plated originally I think...You can see the route it takes from the breather in this photo..It passes under the contact breaker cover and then turns down in a gradual curve between the back of the primary chaincase and the outer face of the gearbox plate on that side. It finishes just below the lower level of the plate and vents onto the road surface...Ian
 photo normandy048_zps35a96213.jpg

Thanx a lot Ian!

And that is a lovely set up for a bike vacation you have there! Weather looks ok in the picture but can't help but noticing the umbrella at the back.

Quite the difference however from the storm rolling in over Gothenburg from the north sea at the moment...

/s

That was mid June on the return trip from the Normandy D Day commemorations..

The umbrella is a great invention...Keeps you dry when it's raining and in the shade if it's too bright... ...Ian

Ian Wright
The umbrella is a great invention...Keeps you dry when it's raining and in the shade if it's too bright... ...Ian

It's quite the trick to open one when riding, much less keep it upright after that. I find they make the bike a bit unsteady, especially at higher speeds...

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Holding one upright over 15mph can be tricky...but pointing one backwards does provide a useful boost to the M20s brakes... ...Ian

Ian Wright
...but pointing one backwards does provide a useful boost to the M20s brakes... ...Ian

Just like in the races!
Imagine Ian the surprise of the salt flats people when you go there and at the end of your record breaking run reach for your umbrella to stop the bike!

Cas
Ian Wright

It's quite the trick to open one when riding, much less keep it upright after that. I find they make the bike a bit unsteady, especially at higher speeds...

Higher speeds ?
Wm20 ?

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1