Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA factory finishes

It's often forgotten just how unionised the world was during the 1930s and 1940s and that didn't stop just because there was a war on....and Ireland was a commercial customer of course. There was probably an element of piece-work as well.

There must somewhere have been an agreed specification for the Irish contract bikes and bearing in mind that most of BSA's production for the last six months had been for WD contracts, I'd be surprised if component finish differed.

It may be that the missing control finish codes are simply 'unfinished' and 'special order' or somesuch.

Photographic evidence seems to suggest that some early-war 3SWs had chromed handlebars and controls but then Edward Turner was a showman ! Nevertheless, seventy-five years on, bright chromed levers (whether or not overpainted and showing through)on a dull-finished motorcycle will always look like a post-war botch carried out by the uninitiated or uncaring ! Best steered clear of !

Hi John

I read with interest your posting on finishes and like you all my literature agreed with yours. However I found an early post-war BSA parts finish which agrees with all those shown in your listing i.e. dull chrome /2 etc., which was followed by Chrome /3. I found similar in a 1950's BSA catalogue.

Don't know if this assists or not

Happy New Year.

Andy

email (option): a.tizzard@btopenworld

Thanks Andy

I suspected 3/ was chrome effect but had not seen it in writing before

Had a good trip home to Ireland & came back with some early m20 treasure

Happy days

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

You are right on that one Rik, unions back then had a big influence on the workplace

Hope you liked the paperwork I sent

I must catalogue it into some kind of order

Best regards

John

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1