Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
piston front or rear ?

Last week I bought another piston but I never seen this.

BSA M20 piston photo IMG_20161223_161436.jpg

BSA M20 piston photo IMG_20161223_161516.jpg

So why the difference

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: piston front or rear ?

It's called a split skirt piston and allows for a smaller piston skirt clearance in the bore as some of the expansion is taken by the split. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi John,

As Ron says its a split skirt piston. Before you bore the cylinder you neeed to know the piston makers recomended clearances. You can run some of these pistons with a very small clearance even down to 0.002" depending on the type and make. If the piston top is not marked Front make sure the split goes to the front of the bike, this is so it is away from the downward thrust which is on the back of the cylinder.
I do not reconize the piston type in your photos, what is it to fit, it's not BSA.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Well Tim. this is a FRIGOBOR piston for my BSA. The marking on top is 83,52. I bought this because the weight is 414 grams and my current Heplex is 451 grams.
Thanks for the info.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

BSA split skirt M33 pistons (85mm bore) run a bore clearance of .0006"-.00275"...

Hepolite etc. made aftermarket split skirt pistons for M20/21 engines and I would think if you went with .002"-.0025" clearance you should be OK...

Piston ring gaps remain unaltered...

Of course, take care when first running the engine to ensure everything is OK before commencing normal running in procedures...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

And how about an ordinairy m20 piston, without a split skirt.
How can you tell the differnece between front and rear side of the piston ?

If a piston is not marked 'FRONT' then it can be fitted either way. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Ron says new unmarked pistons can be fitted either way...

However, it's worth noting that even an unmarked piston, if it has been removed from an engine after use and the intention is to refit it, should be refitted the same way round...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1