Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 clutch assembly trouble....

Finally putting the clutch back together after a few months in bits. Basically stripped it all apart to fit new clutch plates (supplied by Ian Wright). Plates assembled in correct order, spring and ring but fitted nice and easily. Now, when I put the clutch actuating cap on and pull the clutch lever it's almost like the actuating rod is too short!! There's not enough travel to work the clutch... All parts except the plates are original so is it possible the new plates are too thick? Am I missing a trick? The original plates were fine, I just decided to change them as preventative maintenance.

Any suggestions?

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbjns@btinternet.com

Re: WM20 clutch assembly trouble....

Hi there,

You might want too check the size of the ball bearing in the clutch actuating lever (the one on the outside of the gearbox). Sometimes people leave them out, lose them, or fit any old small ball bearing. The correct size is, I think, 5/16 (someone will correct me if I'm in error, I hope) and having the wrong size ball in there will make a big difference.

Best wishes, Allan

Hi Stuart,
did you check the difference in all you old plates, on a pile, compared to the new ones ?
Then you could have seen any difference.
There is a good chance the new plates are thicker. But there is room for adjustment on your lever, isnt there ?
If still too short, you can look for a longer push rod.
Or leave the two plates on the outside out. Like I did.

But whats the point of new plates if the old ones were good...?

The BSA standards book quotes the Ferodo rings are 3/32" from new. Unlike some of the after market plates on offer which are too thick, Ian's are the correct thickness. As Michael suggests, myself and other owners leave one steel and one friction plate out of the assembly. It not only makes for a lighter clutch, but more room in the basket for the plates to separate.

If you need to increase the length of the push road. It can be achieved my cutting it in half and adding a ball bearing in the middle.....Adjusting the length of one half of the rod as required. It would then be advisable to harden or harden and temper the two freshly cut ends......Easily done on a gas camping stove. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cut the pushrod in 2, harden the ends then fit a CLUTCH ROLLER between the two ends not a ball bearing.
Reason is the ball can indent the pushrod pieces turning them into rivets inside the mainshaft.
Clutch gets really heavy then.
make sure the clutch center is hard on the mainshaft.
Does the primary chain sprockets line up ?

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks for the advice chaps. After measuring the new plates and finding them to be marginally thicker than 3/32" i decided to remove 1 steel and 1 fibre plate. Put it all back together and promptly went out for a ride......

Thanks,

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

A ride out to Conwy in early February will sort that clutch out!

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1