Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frame number

Hi guys, could anyone tell me please what the reference would be to the letters GH preceding the numbers on the frame. Thank you Ian

email (option): Ianhince@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Frame number

Hi Ian

What make and model of machine is it?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I am pretty sure that it is about his Malta WM20.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Rob and Henk hope you are both well. It's a friend's M20, when I saw it I thought umm that's different and couldn't really come to any conclusions as most are WM or ZM. I'll look to add some pics. Many thanks Ian.

Ian Hince
Hi Rob and Henk hope you are both well. It's a friend's M20, when I saw it I thought umm that's different and couldn't really come to any conclusions as most are WM or KM. I'll look to add some pics. Many thanks Ian.

KM sorry.

Well KM is 1939. WM ran from 1940-45, then XM started in 1946. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The bike Ian is talking about has GH as prefix and that can't be right.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Well I read that Ian corrected himself "KM" I'm confused now! I'm guessing that anything else will have been stamped by a previous owner or REMI workshop. Ron

photo received_10100107265229314_zpsesyuawcf.jpeg

photo M20 1_zpsenqxstuy.jpg

This is the bike, looking at the frame number again it may even be a C not a G.
Many thanks Ian.

email (option): ianhince@hotmail.co.uk

Sorry Ron, I had to correct myself saying most Frame numbers are usually WM or ZM when I meant to say KM lol

email (option): ianhince@hotmail.co.uk

CH or GH its not a factory stamping, there are some odd numbers in the post war key cards which may indicate replacement frames but nothing quite like this so it would be very difficult to say when it dates from? Does the frame feel flat as if a previous number has been removed?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,thank you for that, I'll have to ask my mate to try that but see what you mean if it's been taken down before re stamping. Not sure what paperwork he has with the bike but would be interesting. I have a pic of the engine number as well which I'll pop on. Many thanks Ian.

Ian It looks like the stamp font is wrong for the whole number. I reckon it's as Rob says, either a new frame or if you clean all the paint off you might see signs of over stamping. Ron

Thank you Ron, think the next step then is to clean it off and see what's been going on underneath, bound to reveal something or signs of anyway. Thank you for everyone's help and will keep you up to date of any findings, best regards Ian. 😉👍

Nieuwe pagina 1