The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel WNG - 1944/45

Hi all
Currently I'm the temporary custodian of an Ariel WNG

Contract S6287 - frame no XG 51857 making it the 2nd off the line from that contract

Engine is an earlier type H572H

I want to time the motor having had to undertake quite a bit of remiadial work on it to date

Shop manual for the wNG states
3/8" btdc full advance

The hints & tips for wd motorcycles states (period publication also)
1/2" btdc full advance

Which is correct ?

Any help /advice appreciated

Many thanks

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Ariel WNG - 1944/45

Both the latest W/NG shop manual I have and Charles Waller's book state 1/2" BTDC.

email (option): simon.holyfield@btinternet.com

Thanks Simon

I'll work to that so

Best regards

Jo'b

hi there, how can you establish from the contract number how the bike was the 2nd off the line pse? kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry

From 'British Forces Motorcycles' by Orchard and Madden. Contract S6287 was for 3500 machines (reduced to 2000 in May 1945). Frame numbers XG51856-XG55355. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The contract itself starts from a specific engine and frame number..

Once you have those numbers (found within the records of the contract) it's a simple case of comparing your own machines numbers to the record to establish where in the contract it was produced...

There are various preserved/published records that contain what's needed for the majority of contracts...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have been given the following information by a chum who also owns a w/ng and is into military vehicles
frame no XG 20758
engine, later, BH 31379
Contract C10477
WD Serial C4589426-4590925 totalling 1499 in all
Allocation C1038302-1039801.
do I have to look further to ascertain where it was in the build sequence? 'tis only a matter of interest really, the bike has been civilianised and apart from a couple of remedial tasks I probably will leave as is, maybe change the rear mudguard to one with a hinge or adapt this one so as to get the bloody rear wheel off!kind regards

Well I calculate yours to be the 258th bike in that contract with census number C4589683. Your engine is from two contracts later in the same period (demanded in 41 and completed in 42).

Armed with this imformation, I guess you will be rushing out to the shed to flat down the shiny paint for a coat of service brown Ron

Thank you very much but how do you arrive at this number pse? I don't think I will change its colour but I might just make up a plate stamped with this number and secured to a toolbox, there are a few holes in one which require some kinda fettling, kind regards

Generally speaking, the frame numbers run in sequence to the census numbers. You simply subtract the first frame number in your contract from your frame number then add to that number the first number from the census numbers.

For example in the case of your bike. XG20758 - 20501 = 257 + 4589426 = C4589683. This is the easy formula to determine a C number, but of course as you've used the first frame number to deduct from yours, you must add it back to know that your bike was the 258th bike off the assembly line.

It can also gets more difficult with split contracts (like yours) that were issued multiple sets of census numbers.....Often it can be a 'best guess'.

I numbered one of my Velo's using this formula, only to find out years later from the VOC who have copies of the factory ledgers that Velocette didn't follow the procedure to the letter and I'm 60 out with my number I'll correct it if I ever need to respay my tank. Ron

Thanks Ian & Ron

Another mystery solved

Job

having nothing better to do I have just examined the W/NG offerred by Andy Tiernan, shows
frame as XG 21856 [20758]
Engine as BH 23030 [31379]
so does this make the frame later than mine and the engine earlier , would it have been one of the same contract? most confusing and only for my education regarding these bikes
kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

It's as you have surmised. Both Andy's numbers are from the same contract as your frame. Frame is later, eng is earlier. Ron

Thank you very much Ron, having now established the census number is there any way it is possible to ascertain where or to which branch/division etc the bike was allocated? kind regards

That is very rarely possible I'm afraid Richard. We would all love to know where our bikes served and who with

Sometimes the only possible way to have a clue is if by some lucky chance you could find some original markings (maybe under layers of paint) and not put there by a previous owner.

The records that we have available to us, will usually indicate that a motorcycle was supplied to either the Army, RN or RAF but not to any specific unit.

I do have a Velo that is from a batch that was initially ordered by the French government, but as Paris had fallen before they were dispatched, they were reallocated to other British units. Fortunately the VOC have the records for these bikes and mine was sent to an anti aircraft unit in Lincoln. This is the only bike in my collection that I actually know what Army unit it served with. I also have a Royal Enfield that I know was supplied to the Admiralty at Chatham Docks. Ron

you will all love this one,
went to my local library just before christmas and asked if they had the 'British forces motorcycle' book, the lass researched it and stated there was one copy at a prison library in Kent and she would ask it be sent to her,
got an email from her this morning opologising that the prison librarian couldn't find it in the library or account for it's whereabouts!
'pon my soul! whatever next? something missing in a prison whatever is the world coming to? off with their 'eads I say won't be nicking books then eh?
kind regards

If you can't find a new one to purchase try Amazon or Ebay where you can often find out of print or hard to find books.

my wife found one at a bookshop in Hastings? just waiting for it to arrive kind regards

Nieuwe pagina 1