Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: THEY USED FIRESTONE.

That is the famous photo of 5 Corps Signals which appears in Jack Dienst's book. I'm surprised by Firestone though. Dunlop and Good Year were the normal early-war options.

Another of the five motorcycle photos from the booklet.  photo DSC_0619_zpsleh2tcyk.jpg

Artistic license probably...'They used Firestone' implies that's all they used but without actually saying that!... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Would love to see the other three if it is not too much trouble. I love to see these old photos preserved.....

photo DSC_0621_zpsgoqe8e6k.jpg Another one from the Firestone war effort booklet,Dunlop also published a war effort book,dont know whether any other UK tyre manufacturers published one,the website photo looks like Firestone tread pattern.

photo DSC_0620_zpsnb4spmqr.jpg  photo DSC_0622_zps4bochyr5.jpg That's the five from the booklet,I think they used standard press photos,they also made tyres for the BSA folding paratrooper bicycle,there are two nice photos in the booklet one full page.

STEVE S.
Another one from the Firestone war effort booklet,Dunlop also published a war effort book,dont know whether any other UK tyre manufacturers published one,the website photo looks like Firestone tread pattern.

Yes, I think that you're right, Steve.

photo Period 16H  Big 4  period publications 1008_zpsazgr6ykz.jpg

That shot of a DR in "Boulder Alley" is also from Jack Dienst's book......taken in Tunisia and the rider is Jack, according to Jack! Alas, we cannot ask him what tyres he used.

From a 1944 issue of MOTORCYCLING.  photo DSC_0620_zpsgp7wqpyo.jpg No engine,but has got two wheels,and is a BSA.  photo DSC_0623_zpsntmm8jtb.jpg

My 16H came with an unperished Firestone

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

I wrote a little on the WD tyres,

Dunlop Uiversal initially and AVON and Firestone later.
I have not seen pictures of Goodyear yet ?

See http://www.wdnorton.nl/Tyres.htm

Cheers

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Hi Rob,very nice tyre info on the Norton site,I saw a 3.25x19 Firestone at a UK jumble a few years ago with the word "MILITARY" stamped into the side wall,it was only good for a display bike or one you want to wheel around.There is a WD GOODYEAR tyre on ebay no 262783628408 probably too old for road use though,seller has put some nice photos of the markings and tread pattern.

Rob, the Good-Years do appear on photos of 1940 models although much less numerous than the Dunlops.

photo A 1940 C4386236 C7353 1B_zpstvogzkbp.jpg

I see re-looking at the factory ledger pages under 'Tyres' that as well as 'D' and 'G', there are also quite a lot of 'F's later in 1940.

You have of course seen my tyres as well !

photo WD 11 39 b_zpsecuu7nca.jpg

photo All Weather_zpslxquhvxe.jpg

I'm not sure about the tyre currently on eBay. I don't think that it's a wartime tread pattern.

I think the one on ebay is a wartime Goodyear Sand Tyre, there is something very similar shown in the wartime "Data book of Wheeled Vehicles".

I had a 3.25x19 "Military" stamped firestone but I'm not sure it was for Motorcycle fitment, mine came with some Airborne hand cart wheels.

Wish I could post pictures but I still can't get photobucket to work.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Ah RIk,

I should have remembered that!!!

I forgot to put those pictures in the correct folder as well.

Cheers,

Rob

Gents

The ebay Goodyear tyre may be WD marked but does not have to be wartime dated!
Postwar Avons and Michelins also had WD marking.
Unfortunately the dates are not always clear.

Who pays 100 pounds to hang on the wall??

cheers

Rob

nothing to do with tyres but if 'Jack Dienst' is the chap, or was, from Brook, Ashford, I often meet up with son Peter who himself has some interesting machines, kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Jack Dienst was indeed from Brook and self-published 'A Civilian in Uniform' about his wartime experiences. He was Section Fitter for 5 Corps Signals.

Well worth a read if you can find a copy.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=18138458603&searchurl=kn%3Duniform%26sortby%3D17%26an%3Ddienst

It can be less expensive on eBay. Production values are not high and photo reproduction is poor but it's a cracking read.

I met Jack in around 2003? at his self-build cottage in Brook, on the hunt for a WD motorcycle, but alas Jack had sold up all his bikes by then, so I just came away with his excellent and irreverent book. But I did buy my NOS DR helmet from his son who had several up in his attic. If you can find it, Jack's book is well worth a read.

I corresponded with Jack back in my pre-internet period. A smashing bloke. A bit of a chancer in his army days though !

photo Afbeelding 203_zpso4rp7lrg.jpg

His book was probably not aimed at the politically correct and anyone offended by a combination of Arabs, Gypsies, goats and sexual proclivities in a single paragraph probably didn't ought to read it.

I loaned it to my (later-war) ex Royal Sigs Dad and he sniggered quite a lot whilst reading it.

It's really good on anecdotes around things like tool kit inspections. They were put on fizzers for having too many tools as well as too few.

From a 1940 issue of MOTORCYCLING these tyres look the same tread pattern as the ebay GOODYEAR,I wonder did JOHN BULL supply tyres for the war effort,in the MOTORCYLING and THE MOTORCYCLE only FIRESTONE and DUNLOP seemed to advertise their tyers,GOODYEAR is also closing its factory in Stafford Rd Wolverhamton in early 2017 after being there 90 years,they are moving production to Mexico.  photo DSC_0622_zpsz4gyucrv.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1