Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roller Bearings

What do you think of these

https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/item/2340/Bearings/MRJA-78-C3-BSA--24-0722.html

Paul Crisp

Re: Roller Bearings

This is not the same as the BSA timing side roller...

On that bearing the outer race fits in the crankcase and the inner and roller assembly fit to the crankshaft...It is not clear whether there is a lip on the outer race as with the original...

NKE do supply the correct type as well, though it will cost more probably..

The quality is good and I've used a lot of the correct type from this manufacturer...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As a footnote the outer bearing must have the lipped edge..If not and the inner moves 'outwards' on the mainshaft it can munch its way through the thin outer wall of the crank case bearing housing...Ian

I still have a few left on the shelf of the correct type if required too
Drop me a line if you need one.
Regards
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

And just a word of caution.
The most counterfitted manufactured item is bearings.
Be very wary of buying them on line.
This mob seem legitimate as thy have a street address but there is a lot of rubbish bearings out there.
Even if not fake bearings are made in a lot of grades from trolly wheel grade to crankcase grades and many are the same sizes.

Did a mower a while back where the owner "saved" some money buy buying a 10 pack of 6205 bearings for $25 including postage.
They were genuine bearings, but low load low speed variation .
His deck was a write off $ 1500 according to the mower shop.
all because he thought $25 each was too expensive for the bearings from the mower shop, so he bought 1 to get the size then looked them up on the web.
Bought them from a web only "shop" .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I couldn't agree more...Buy quality branded bearings from a verified supplier...

It's not only your money but possibly your life that's on the line when you start fitting low quality/counterfeit bearings to your bike...

Many years ago when I first had a bike I got a sound bit of advice from an old boy that lived near me...He said 'Today your working on the bike but tomorrow you may be doing 100mph on it, so work carefully...'

That caution should apply just as much to the parts fitted, particularly highly stressed parts...Ian

After thirty odd years in the business, it is such a breath of fresh air to hear that type of rhetoric towards bearings.
I have seen the Japanese brands begin their imports with awful quality(1980's) to todays Japanese products being right up there, The best names have always been SKF/FAG/RHP/INA, but they are suffering badly from the counterfeit trade these days as there is such money to be made.

You made mention of a 6205 bearing for example, an SKF or FAG version would typically sell at about £5 each, but a 'budget' version I can buy for about 50p
Online, many Companies are selling using SKF branding etc. but sending out the unbranded cr*p. They quote £4 a bearing which sounds great for SKF but make a killing on the quality that they sell.
Not all online sellers are like this but you really need to be on your guard these days.
If in doubt, speak to a reputable local firm and get to see the bearings first. If they sell FAG or SKF, they have traceability so don't be afraid to follow it up if in doubt. But as you say Ian, it pays to work carefully.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Just bought some front wheel bearings from Les.

Happy to pay the price for piece of mind.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1