Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine sprocket for W/NG 350

Hi all,
I searched the forum, but could not find an answer...Maybe one of you know the answer to my question.
I have a 20T two lobe engine sprocket on my W/NG 350, but I still find it a bit to revvy. Is it possible to mount a 23T two lobe engine sprocket (if I'm correct standard on a Ariel 500cc single cylinder) or is this asking to much of the engines bottom end? Please advise....
Many thanks..

Maarten

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

Re: engine sprocket for W/NG 350

You will be able to fit it, but without an increase in engine power top gear will be like an overdrive. It will be faster in third and first will be difficult to use in traffic. Why not go up by one tooth to a 21.

Thanks for your reply, are these 21T two lobe sprocket readily available? Or are they interchangeable with the two lobe sprocket of other marks, like BSA for example?

I don't know the answer to that. My guess is that the BSA one might fit, BSA used the four lobe sprocket until they went over to the two lobed ones in the fifties. By then BSA owned Ariel so it made sense to use a better design. If you like I will measure as best I can a BSA sprocket tomorrow.

Hi Ian,

That would be great, thank you!

As best as I can make it. From the back of the sprocket to the top of the lobe is 21.53mm. The diameter of the lobes is 50.68mm. The lobes are 7.48mm thick. From the top of the lobe to the sprocket face is 15mm. The centre hole is approx. 34.88mm and runs on a sleeve 34.84mm. I think the centre hole is probably slightly larger but difficult to measure with a vernier. I hope this is of some help.

Thanks Ian, seems it will not fit the Ariel... I had contact with Draganfly, they don't have a 21T in stock but are planning to have a few made in the oncoming months....Have to wait until the next spring....

You could try John Budgen, he has £20 second hand sprockets in his 'Engine Spares' section. He might have what you need.

http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1