The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1947 M21 primary chain

hi all BSA fans
hoping someone can help me with some BSA info
i own a 1947 M21 600cc...im wondering if any knows of a roller primary chain suitable so i could run a dry primary ?
any info a great help
ben

email (option): benurvan@gmail.com

Re: 1947 M21 primary chain

Yes Ben. Speak to Jane at http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/ She supplied me a chain for my BSA/Indian special, which I run dry! (Not quite as I spray it with 'chainlube'). I forget the material it's made from, but it's very slinky and is what they use on speedway bikes. However I've also made some openings in the rear chainguard to allow some cooling air through. My standard M20 and all my other bikes have their original oil bath in operation. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I wouldn't recommend this if you plan to do a lot of miles...Particularly long runs on A roads or carriageways...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It's why I went for the speedway chain that Jane recommended. I've done 4887 miles on it since I built the bike and adjusted the chains once. Mostly never more than 70 miles in one hop, with some fast bits (55-60 mph is fast for me ). An oil bath on this particular machine was just not viable. But I would agree it's much better to use one. Ron

['But I would agree it's much better to use one..']

I think so as well, don't forget the oil lubricates the clutch rollers, engine shock absorber mechanism and sprockets as well as lubricating and importantly, cooling the primary chain...

I got poor chain durability when I tried this, though it was subjected to long runs including motorway work...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well Ian, at least no engine shock absorber on my Indian special The Yanks just didn't bother until 'Chief' size, and I never notice it when riding. Admittedly the clutch rollers will need a grease up periodically. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1