Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rebuild / engine noise / Mag rebuid / Speedo

Hey Chaps, trust all is well

Been reading in the back ground and playing with the odd new toy, had an Austin 8 for a bit and now running a CCKW which has taken up most of my time of late, you might also spot me in this new film called 'Allied' thats out next week, I'm the one on my Fordson N tractor at the airfield, driving the Matador and the DR with the noisey BSA engine:-)

About two years ago I had this tinny engine noise when I was at Goodwood and Normandy some of you may remember, fixed it when Dave Plumb noticed that the change in height from a composite gasket to a solid one was helping the piston and the head be better acquainted, perhaps my head has been skimmed 1 too many times and shagged the ends? So now this year on the over run or high revs its making a noise, doesn't sound a deep noise in the engine or tinny, def feel a vibration though when it happens through the bars and engine. This last year I havn't ridden the BSA much at all mainly because of this, she also needs new fork linkage bushes and a few other bits done

So now we are into winter I need to sort it out so I can get back on the old warhorse again in spring and poss Normandy again.

-The engine noise maybe little or big end but what would that sound like? Worn valve guides?..Hard to explain I know

-Big end, is that engine out, cases apart?

-Mag. I havnt touched it for 7 years atall...whilst I've got the M20 to bits is it worth getting this done? If it aint broke etc...so could you recommend someone please, Ribblesdale who did my Tractor are bloody aweful, had to send it back 5 times!

-Speedo, this hasn't worked for years either, prob about time I got that done too, where could I get that looked at? Thanks.

Sounds to me really the engine could come out and be gone through, stuff replaced where needed by the hands of a skilled craftsman, not a spanner monkey like me. Thought I'd ask as will be getting to it soon just want to roughly know the drill. I'll have to pay for help to do the rebuild, find parts etc. There are a few guys near me that could help diagnose, one is a skilled BSA Maltese camo owner called Ross if any one knows him. But any ideas would be great. (Dave as much as I love you, you're a 6hr round trip from LU7;) Or in fact if any one fancies rebuilding an engine for me closer, maybe best to let my two local chaps look and listen and go from there, but its about time really I got her back to where she was on the 65th

BTW Alot of you guys prob put up with me harping on about owning a Jimmy for a while, finally got one a little ahead of plan, they are great trucks even if a little Yank, at least the clothing is more comfy...

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Strange engine noise is back

Hi Kit

Noises are funny things and can come from anywhere, before you rip your engine apart make sure its not something loose which is vibrating, I one lost a petrol tank bolt and it sounded like the top end of the engine was going to blow.

Good luck
Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Strange engine noise is back

Hi Kit (star of stage, screen and street corner) Ross White is a good friend of mine but not sure if he could spend the time to help with your engine, considering his imminent new (old) house renovation. In fact he's sharing my van next June to Normandy if you care to join us.

I think if Dave Plumb is happy to strip/check it, it's worth shipping it to him. I think there are guys willing to move a complete bike for about £100.

I also expect Dave has a mag guy? I have a good mag guy in the New Forest, but it's usually a 6-8 week turn round. Email me if you want his contact details. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Rebuild / engine noise / Mag rebuid / Speedo

www.chronometrics.co.uk took my bag of speedo bits and turned it into a brand new looking, fully functional unit for (I think) £125 or so - didn't have to wait long either.

Dave Plumb did a great job on a big end refurb and rebore for me. I travelled from Emsworth to Liverpool to get it done and would gladly do it again. This guy understands these engines.

Not sure who to recommend for the Magdyno.

Gary

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Yes, I have a mag guy, but I think he's going into hospital for a hip operation shortly but they seem to have them back on their feet in no time. I just watched the programme tonight, did you film up at Hooton Park? If you did, you were only about a mile and a half from me!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Is that Fred?..I hear he's about to come out of hospital but I guess he'll be out of action for a while...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Try Paul Lydford at APL Magnetos, the product and turn around time is excellent with very good price.
My M20 and current CO project have his mags fitted. His number is 01747 852136
Try also Priory Magnetos, I had a dynamo rebuild/12V conversion done, also highly recommended. Just Google his website.
Also had tank bolts come loose up the hill at Omaha Beach, sounded like the engine was about to blow.

Rick

email (option): rbrouard@guernsey.net

Thanks All

I had an email today that she's all done. I used a guy local to me who has been great, Bo Hare at whohareswins.com I've known Bo for a good few years. Mag we sent to France (Brightsparks?) addeds modern capacitor thing to the points and the forks went to Kent or Hampshire, few other bits sorted. The engine noise was just resonence thankfully.

That enamel paint I used (bad decision) I'll touch up with stuff I'll get from Stoneligh, when the forks went in the jig and bent back of course it all cracked, linkages all redone too as they were shot. One of the forks was 1/4" out and has been the whole time I've looked after the M20, it would explain the pull to the left when I let go of the bars. Anyway I'm not the most gifted of mechanics and usually broke as some of you know but its slowly being all sorted out and all those jobs done, affording repairs when I can. Excited to be getting her back soon, hardly rode it last year for that reason but looking forward to this year.

One thing I will like to do is get the Speedo rebuilt, shame I dont know how many miles we've done together in 10 years.

haha! Ron....after all that filming we did last year on 'Allied' prob about two weeks, you see the BSA in shot for about 1/2 second, it's the scene where Brad Pitt visits the hospital if you blink you miss it, there's also a Matchless you see parked up on Hampstead Heath, more knakered than mine! We did loads of scenes but it all got cut. My Fordson tractor you see in the back ground twice just with me driving, towing 3 bomb trollies, the Matador I drove you only see the roof passed the hanger doors. Great fun though, the food was great, got some great pictures and with all the extras, vehicles up at Halton it was amazing to see. Its suppose to be Hendon and of course Hendon never had Lancasters based there. Lots of WAAFS on bicycles, Aircrew, Ground crew walking about, the Wardrobe dept had lots of original Irvines, overalls, hats, Mae Wests etc. Effectively it paid for me buying the Tractor which is a 1942 High gear from RAF St Eval and a bomb trolley I found that was used in the Memphis Belle film. Also at last I finally got that GMC CCKW I've been on about and after for years, hopefully I can hang on to all and hopefully may get some more work to pay for it all ;)

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Kit just spotted you in allied,nice tractor need a mag glass to see you !

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1