Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problem with my speedo

Hey guys, i bought a BSA WM20 from ´41 for a few month. After some refreshing and repairing, now i check, why my speedo don´t works. The Speedo works with my cordless skrewdriver perfekt. The speedo drive turns too, but it don´t works..mmhh??? The error is, it rotates the wrong way around. When i look on top, the speedo drive turns anti clockwise. The Speedo need clockwise turns.
What´s the error? It´s the wrong speedo drive? Or ist my Speedo wrongly assembled? On the speedo drive is written: Brit.Pat.529397
I hope someone can help me.

email (option): sir-vincent@web.de

Re: Problem with my speedo

Kai,

This is a common problem when the wrong speedo drive is fitted. if you turn the tabs clockwise the spindle should turn clockwise as well looking from the top.

Regards,
leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

Can you give me the right part number for the appropriate speedo drive? Thanks.

Or from which other models the Speedo drive fits?

Not easy Kai! As Leon said "clockwise in and clockwise out" I have an M20 speedo drive in my hand, but can't see any part number. The only other one that I've found 'so far' that you can use, is off a post war Royal Enfield Flying Flea, and you have to drill the spindle hole bigger.

If ever I see these drives at jumbles, I always pick them up and check the rotation. Unfortunately they are nearly always anti clock Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kai,

I'm not too sure why your speedo's not working, but I can tell you that the part number, BRIT PAT 529397 is the same as the drive on my M20. It has been on the bike as long as I have owned it 27 years. Hope this helped,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave, I'm afraid the Patent Number isn't an indicator of the rotation direction. I was stitched-up by an eBay seller for a pricey speedo gearbox ages ago that looked identical and I was green enough to believe him when he said it suited an M20. Time passed and I pulled it out when I had finally got to the point of fitting it and was dismayed to find it rotated the other direction.
These two pictured look very similar and both have the same Patent Number but are opposite in rotation (the one on the left is the one that has the correct rotation for the M20.

Kai, this is what you need to look for as mentioned by Ron earlier. A word of advice - don't walk past those rusty, worthless looking wheels, one of them might well have a working, correct rotation speedo gearbox.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Ray, thanks for your reply. I have an idea about the Pat Number. Maybe, the number is just for the housing, something like a universal item, then different internals are installed for anti or counterclockwise rotation? That is only an idea.
That must have been a bit of a sickener getting stiched up? I have bought parts before and not used them for ages, only to find out that there are not correct.
Ray my speedo drive looks like the one one on the right. It's is correct and works. I seared the screws, Dave Plumb sorted it for me Thanks Dave.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

You'll have to be quick! Finishes today. As I said befor, you can open the spindle hole out.... The 'Patent Number' will just be to cover the design, not the rotation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Flying-Flea-Front-Wheel-Speedo-Drive-/272449491741?hash=item3f6f41531d:g:e8YAAOSwux5YKfQT

Ron

you can pick up cheap indian 2-1 speed drive heat up body on gas ring get a short bit of a welding rod through square hole gentle tap out it pops then same with other end then reassemble other way round. had to use a different spacer washer on inside ,but for £5-50 inc post a cheap temp answer for getting the clockwise drive on left hand side.
slammer

I have a 1941 WM20 to test the speedo on the bench you need the drill in reverse to make it work. maybe its the wrong speedo Bryon

Drill in reverse would be correct. it will be turning clockwise as you look at the front of the chuck. Ron

slammer
you can pick up cheap indian 2-1 speed drive heat up body on gas ring get a short bit of a welding rod through square hole gentle tap out it pops then same with other end then reassemble other way round. had to use a different spacer washer on inside ,but for £5-50 inc post a cheap temp answer for getting the clockwise drive on left hand side.
slammer
Thank you so much for this hint, I managed to reverse the direction of my Indian replica drive!
:+1: :+1: :+1:

Nieuwe pagina 1