Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how can I find out where my m20 served in WWII?

The British Army had large reserve vehicle stocks during the Cold War and the M20s were disposed off locally during the early / mid 1960s. There was a large Reserve Vehicle Depot at Antwerp which was where supplies for BAOR entered Europe. They were presumably kept in a bonded warehouse to avoid paying Belgian duties. Most of the U.S. M20s have Belgian customs seals suggesting that they came from there.

It would seem that at least one U.S. dealer bought several container-loads of WM20s and G3L Matchlesses...Oddly the Matchlesses seem to have disappeared - maybe they were still modern enough to have been worn out.

John Edwards posted some adverts from 1963/64 from Ansel's Trading Post. There may have been others.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1275597&cmd=show

By '63 / '64; the Nortons, Ariels and Enfields had all been sold off which explains the lack of higher-class WD motorcycles in the States

Re: how can I find out where my m20 served in WWII?

I re imported one of these BSA M20, still with post war number on , rebuilt with a new engine , no engine number stamped, and new gearbox, came with the Antwerp customs tag still attached, it went into a museum in Florida for many years, and I bought it six years ago and brought it back to the Uk its been to Normandy once, but I keep it in the same condition OILY RAG as it arrived to me, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1