Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Won't start!

Joseph, what is your experience with old English motorcycles ? You haven't mentioned the choke and the handlebar control does operate differently from later machinery. It's obvious if you know it, but can cause confusion.

In my experience, side-valve singles don't like any throttle on starting. There is simply not enough inlet depression to suck any fuel in.

Have you tried full choke and leaving the twistgrip alone ?

The magneto doesn't get that many chances to fire in a single swing so it's important to find a technique that works.

Have you checked that the contents of the oil tank haven't drained into the sump ? If the flywheels are dragging in oil then it is really difficult to spin them over sharply enough to initiate the starting procedure.

Well, went out this morning, did as Roam suggested, just turned petcocks on an kicked it. After a couple of tries it started!
Adjusted choke and advance/retard and managed to drive it up the road and back. After a couple of stoppages I am getting the hang of it. It still doesn't seem right but at least I have it going and can work on it.
Thanks everyone for the assistance.
I think the carb still needs some work/tuning, any advice.

Thanks again,

Joe.

email (option): se98jl@hotmail.com

Just to be sure if you are new to these. If the cable on your mag enters at the rear of the mag by the battery, then you have what we call 'Tight Wire Advance' You handlebar lever should be pulled fully towards you for normal running. Likewise, your choke lever should also be fully towards you. It's surprising how many guys I've met who think the choke lever works the other way......I never use mine anyway Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. The previous owner instructed me not to use the choke also, said it worked fine without it. "Keep it pushed away from you" he said. Checked the operation of it after your message and he had it full on! Pulled it fully towards me and the bike tikes over like a dream.

Thanks again.

email (option): se98jl@hotmail.com

Simple fix then. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1