Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum photograph

I thought you might like to know that the forum photo was taken in June 1940 in Otterbourne which is south of Winchester on the old road to Southampton. These troops on Matchless machines were in a bridging unit and they were part of the Second BEF. Perhaps Rik can tell us more about the Second BEF but I gather these troops went to Framce after Dunkirk? This is one of a whole series of photos taken on this trip to Southampton and it's interesting to note that many of these machines are fitted with chrome exhausts and the bike in the centre clearly has a black painted speedo. I assume that in late 39, early 1940 that the factory was still using up civilian parts in stock. Cheers JT

Re: Forum photograph

I remember Otterbourne from years ago as part of the old Winchester by-pass.(now replaced by the M3). I've ridden through it when visiting friends at Shirrel Heath to avoid the main roads. It's quite nostalgic and I wish I'd know about that series of pictures longer ago....I'd have paid more attention and looked for any land marks. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1