Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton - AJS V twin special

I've just seen this Norton 16H with an AJS V twin engine on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131991005036?ul_noapp=true

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Norton - AJS V twin special

For ten grand why didn't he finish the gearchange if its that simple? Could have big problems you wouldn't find out about without a test ride.

10k, just needs finishing..............

yeh right.

1937, My Arse !

I don't usually swear on forums but that thing is a fucking death trap, quite apart from not being what it says it is.

DVLA should call this one in. It was first registered this year so some dodgy organisation has approved it. It may have had a Norton engine then though.

Did anyone notice the non-Norton forks relying on a skewed clamp round the tubes to locate the brake plate torque arm, apparently a clamp to act as brake cable abutment and an arm well past its most effective position ? Bring back the MOT !

photo Dodgy Norton 1_zpsadrdzicm.jpg

It clearly has a field stand lug and additional pillion lug so it is a 1941-on WD16H frame at the very least.

The only nice thing that I can find to say about it is that he has only butchered a pattern Indian front mudguard rather than a genuine article.

Yes I did notice the forks Rik.... and the brake arm I thought you'd like the bike Rik

The problem with specials is they mirror the owners personality, if you are the sort of person who likes to live dangerously having a dodgy front brake is fine. But it isn't acceptable to pass that on to someone else, and maybe the sort of people who buy second hand specials are the sort of people who don't have the technical skills to build their own or to notice dangerous details.

I'm not a fan of specials at all, I see them as a collection of parts to be reused for proper motorcycles, so for me this is worth the sum of its parts, probable between 2k and 3k.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

On the other hand, I DO like a nicely prepared special. I was especially inspired by this bike that I've seen a few times over the years. Again it's an AJS engine and although I hadn't immediately recognised it. The frame and forks are Royal Enfield WD/CO.....Which was the bike I was actually riding (my WD/CO) when I first encountered this bike and its owner/builder. He told me that he'd cut off his own right arm with a blunt knife before he'd ever part with it.

There's also a Vincent engined Featherbed that I see regularly that I would give my eye teeth to own. Ron
 photo Goodwood 006_zpsd43bygiy.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Some well made specials look like the engine belongs in the frame, your Indian/BSA is one of them Ron The Vincent engine does look good as a cafe race bike, so much so that a company called JMC are building brand new Norvin's will electric start for only £40,000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/NORTON-NORVIN-VINCENT-New-Cafe-Racer/282243216527?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37140%26meid%3D0f3223dfcc4445a4996bc0f6b5be9c46%26pid%3D100103%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D282243216527%26clkid%3D327439825689719026&_qi=RTM2065550

I just love the 'business' of a Vincent twin engine, but I've never really cottoned on to the look of a Vincent with it's strange rear suspension. To my mind there is nothing prettier than a featherbed Norvin. Hats off to the bloke who built the one off home build that I've seen around over the last few years. I'll try and remember to take my camera in future. Ron

PS I just found a picture of my favourite 'Norvin'. It's completely un-WD related...But what the heck!
 photo b-norvin_zpssnmdpenb.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I love specials..They have been built from the very outset of motorcycling by people who were attempting to build their 'perfect' machine as they envisaged it and to express their own ideas...

Some display the application of incredible skills...Take, for example, the number of people who have built their own engines, frames etc...

It is the nature of the game that for every really nice, competently constructed special there will be scores of 'lash ups' and unfinished projects as well...

Not everyone has the skills, budget, application or facilities to realise their 'dream machine' after all, even though they think they have at the outset...

It is also probable that the people who produce the specials that are desirable didn't manage that from day one!!....

These attitudes and skills etc. have to be learned...

Personally I think a world without specials is a world without ideas and IMO that can't be a good thing...

Some of the companies,such as Vincent, wouldn't even exist if someone didn't have the dream and the idea to start it..

There is a place for specials just as much as there is for 'standard' bikes..and don't forget not all of those are well rebuilt either!!

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1