Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website picture

Hi is the picture on this website front page the Irish army with Stanley woods nearest?

Re: Website picture

Yes, that's Stanley.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Grahame. It certainly is. It's one of a series that are on the Irish Military Archive web site.Mick.

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply, Mick I didn't know that the Irish military website had images of the bikes I must go and check them out thanks for that. Stanleys bike is interesting I wonder if it was his private machine or if he was just allowed to modify the military one given to him. Also odd is the number plate, is that the frame number!. I see the bikes In the rear are registered with low zd numbers so I'm guessing that they were the early purchase 1939? Machines, but the ones nearest Stanley are like the later contract ones like mine. And still have the black out masks and no front number plate. But what is that marking on the tank?

All the best Grahame

email (option): Packagingmuseum@gmail.com

There are some more very nice photos of Stanley on a BSA.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Grahame,

I think the M20? that Stanley is riding is a pre war model either a HM20 or a JM20 which the Irish Army also had but there will be somebody along soon, I'm sure, with a proper id of the bike.
FYI, ZD 271 is frame/engine number WM20 2322 dispatched from BSA on 28/03/1940
ZD 58 is engine number WM20 2199 dispatched from BSA on 22/01/1940
And ZD 219, I think it is, is a bit odd as in the dispatch ledgers the frame WM20 2316 had engine WM20 2316 with it but the same engine number is also recorded as been fitted in frame WM20 2317. The pressure must have been on to get the order shipped to the Dept of Defence, Dublin.
Mick

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Hi

It seems this might be one of the early "sample bikes" they took in 38 or so for evaluation but modified in subsequent years after

Both the 1940 ZD bikes have serial numbers close to mine 2329 - mine was originally ZD 188 for which a replacement log book has now been obtained

Great photo though

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1