Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WD Control Cable Grease Nipples

Copper slip might work , rather than normal grease,

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

The great nipples on these cable are the "modern" click-on type, for as far as I know these click-on nipples weren't used on the war time motorcycles, and are actually a post war invention. I remember that the trunnions on my Triumph Spitfire had to be "greased" with gearbox oil, not grease, through these click-on nipples. You need a second grease gun that you fill up with gearbox oil, and then you pump the oil into the nipple. Very similar to greasing with grease, but quite a messy job as some oil will always squirt out.

Maybe the cables on this bike should be treated in more or less the same way?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I always thought that the cables should be lubricated by oil. As has been said grease will make the cables sticky especially in the winter.

"Grease nipple" is a generic term, you can use them to apply any sort of lubricant, M20 forks have lots of grease nipples but you should be squirting C600 Oil into them not grease otherwise you will wear out your fork bush's.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

We've had this discussion before Rob. But I grease all my fork links! I can't think how it can't work to lubricate In fact more efficiently than oil which is liable to run away quicker, needing oiling at closer intervals.

What do others use? What exactly is C600 oil for a modern comparison Rob? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

C600 is a 140 oil - but not EP140 if you have bronze bushes, alledgedly.

Rob's comment caused me to look in the Norton books. The later-war M&I manual also states C600 for the forks....but the lubrication chart in the early-war Rider's Handbook lists 'Grease GS'

Did they change to oil as nipples were blocking or grease hardening in some conditions?

I can't imagine the Tecalemeit grease gun not leaking if filled with oil and carried in a tool roll.

WD B40 cables are oiled, Daily according to the Aust Airforce service manual.
The nipples are the conical tecmint type not the modern ball ended.
Two strokes daily so they must leak a fair bit.
The sleeve is the same as a lot of modern ones and the nipple just screws in ( and vibrates out).

If you really look like ripping the last strand of hair out of your head I can send you some old rusty ones of you want to pay postage that I removed from my B40's when I had new cables made.
It is the same fitting as on a A65 and some B50 front brake cables so should not be too hard to find in the OLD dart.
I would be amazed if some one is not turning them up in stainless.

The hard bit is finding real imperial outers to fir the oilers into.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for the offer of your old fittings Trevor, I'm off to 'Normous Newark' on the 20th and may find some there, if not I might take you up on your offer as I've never actually seen these fitting close up.

Dave

email (option): dave.stapleton@me.com

Hi all, I may have cable with one of the above grease nipples on, will see if I can locate it again, and take some pictures.

Matchless G3WO's certainly had oilers on the cables, it was an old design used on AJS in the early thirties, will get some in a month or so.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Hello Dave,

I found few of these on the internet.
Apparently it goes also for Lambretta cables,
And there are "Fake" greasers which fit over the cable,
Or real ones.

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/Lambretta_cable_set.html

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lambretta/cable-grease-nipple/

http://scooterfix.ca/products/scootopia-lambretta-grey-series-3-friction-free-cable-set-with-grease-nipples-ferrules?variant=7289839429

Cheers,
Noam.

Here's my cable with the grease/oil fitting, it's crimped on, so not really removable. Someone, (probably me) has stolen the grease nipple out of it!

Can make measeurements, if it helps.

Noam, the fitting in your links (there is a way to make them clickable!!!) is the German type, very different to the English ones, much cheaper to manufacture.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Thanks for the photos and info Lex.

Dave

email (option): dave.stapleton@me.com

Rik
C600 is a 140 oil - but not EP140 if you have bronze bushes, alledgedly.

Rob's comment caused me to look in the Norton books. The later-war M&I manual also states C600 for the forks....but the lubrication chart in the early-war Rider's Handbook lists 'Grease GS'

Did they change to oil as nipples were blocking or grease hardening in some conditions?

I can't imagine the Tecalemeit grease gun not leaking if filled with oil and carried in a tool roll.

Rick
My original instructions for my Tecalemit grease gun states that it is for light to medium grease and thick oil.
It also states "When filling with oil the follower plate should first be pushed back into the gun as far as it will go."
Warm grease may also be used in this way.
The box is marked LV6 MT1-TT

Cheers Darren

Nieuwe pagina 1