Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Australian War Memorial book 126 - Army Vehicle Registration Books

I've looked through my copies from the MEE ledgers but can add nothing to what is in O&M.

As I read it, EX311 was the M21 swd outfit.

EX315 was fitted with engine WM20 499 which doesn't appear in the factory despatch ledgers.

The multi-make hybrids, with the exception of EX289 which had the Matchless engine 23297 retro-fitted generally seem to have been taken from machines delivered under existing contracts rather than prototypes. EX289 may well have been supplied with a view to them sending it on to Matchless?. It was despatched by BSA 31/1/41 and received by MEE 26/4/41.

The B30 engine fitted to a Matchless frame looks to have been numbered WB30 556.

I tend to suspect anything with a 'T' in the number of having a Triumph connection but this engine doesn't fit in their sequences.

Beraing in mind that it is clearly marked as 'Impressed', I'd be inclined to suspect a demonstrator sold on by the importers and perhaps fitted with a rebuild engine (amybe even an M20)stamped by them. There were certainly Nortons to WD spec exported there via commercial channels. It seems likely that they were responsible for trying to interest the Australian authorities. Some contracts were closed directly with Australia rather than via the Ministry of Supply.

Your right of course Rik...EX315 was the lightweight M20 not EX311..

Unfortunately there's no information (yet) on that or the SWD M21 both of which would make interesting 'replication' projects if there was more than guesswork to go by...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There are lots of typos and errors in these Australian ledgers so its possible that some or all of this is wrong, perhaps its not actually a BSA?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

[' As we know, there are known knowns..the things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know..
But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know...These are the difficult ones..']...

Donald Rumsfeld..(and the WD motorcycle forum...).. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1