Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Picture

Ron, Jan and I are pretty much agreed that it's a C610**(36?) series number from a batch of civilian impressed. Although it has 'WH' (Heer / Army) I can"t help wondering if he's aircrew or Kriegsmarine - The jumper is more their style.

Whatever, it's probably not surprising that this sort of impressed machine should turn up right down the end of the BEF L of C.

I would say it's a B29...If it's one from the only military contract that's a really rare bike...There were only just over 20...

Even as an impressed machine it's a rarity...Only a few hundred were made for the civvy market before the war intervened...

There was a complete engine for one at the last Shepton Mallet jumble...£850...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A rapid late night google throws up Vannes [Meucon] as a Luftwaffe airport.

Throughly bombed by the USAAF who took it over and according to Wiki

"...bomb craters were filled with gravel or various types of debris....."

possibly the bike is still there as infill?

Get your metal detector warmed up Ron

'Rik the Rivet' is ahead of you there Ken. He's probably already been there with his metal detector. Especially as he doesn't even need to use a ferry boat to get to the place.

Here is an extract from an email he sent me a few days ago. Ron

Ron,
The C11 picture was taken at Vannes in Brittany where a bomber squadron was stationed (KG100). I think the chap in the roll neck sweater looks more Luftwaffe (although the bike says WH).
Cheers,
Rik

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Might have guessed, lets hope he hasn't heard the rumour of the trench load of SWD Norton outfits buried under Crystal Palace running track...........

While looking I found this site which has some pics of the Vannes airfield, now all we need is a really keen type to go though it all and ID the rider......

Quite a few photos of that airfield to be found via google images

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2013_06_01_archive.html

Here's a B29 I helped a friend restore a few years back...The bike is now residing in Holland...Ian
 photo b29.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Very interesting, I guess there are no end of captured or lost machines that turn up in photos or even real life......

So were did you get the fishtail ?
Been looking for one of them for a while

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

That fishtail silencer actually came from me. It was erroneously fitted to a WB30 that I restored. But Armours have them listed.
https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/pre-war-models/. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1