Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE NEW GUARD.

Mechanisation of the Grenadier Guards.This regiment is now equipped with motor-cycles mounting tommy-guns.  photo DSC_0604-1_zpsf0ee9ce1.jpg

Re: THE NEW GUARD.

A Norton Model 18 I believe, with the ugly 'Cows Udder' silencer. Horror is building a replica. I'm not sure about firing a Tommy Gun whilst riding? ......I have better pictures somewhere! Ron

photo scan-161021-0001_zpspkfxtrad.jpg

photo scan-161021-0002_zpsjpaco5l2.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

How the heck did they use the throttle? It's still obviously on the right, unless they put one on the other side too, and if so it must have really sucked to work the clutch and throttle both from the left hand!

Now that's a good question Sam! Steve's picture shows the left hand side of the handlebars. Can't see a throttle cable there... I guess they used a throttle without a return mechanism, so that you can take your hand off...?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

The bike is definitely a 1938 (and probably early model year) Model 18. There is no apparent record of them being supplied under WD contract and this one seems to have been a propaganda exercise.

I can't imagine how it could have been fired in motion. It would hardly be possible to hit a barn, let alone a barn door and the magazine would be emptied in no time.

Yes but you hit every window in a 10 story building if it shakes like my M20 does.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Someone actually patented a similar design in the early 1940s.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=551504A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19430225&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP#

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Jan
Now that's a good question Sam! Steve's picture shows the left hand side of the handlebars. Can't see a throttle cable there... I guess they used a throttle without a return mechanism, so that you can take your hand off...?

Jan

Yeah, I guess they must have tightened up the adjustment screw underneath the throttle twist housing so you could take your hand off. I was thinking they might have been better off with the gun on the other side, but then you wouldn't be handy to the clutch, which REALLY wouldn't be good!

That's why Indian Motocycles came with a left hand throttle and foot clutch! So you could operate your gun whilst in hot pursuit. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1