Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
R.A.S.C. DEPOT.

R.A.S.C.depot some where in England,packing some of the 2,000 motor-cycles stored at a depot in readiness for delivery into war service,one of the vast variety of duties carried out by the R.A.S.C.  photo DSC_0620-1_zps5470c1f3.jpg Front row look like Enfields,the next two rows Triumph 3SW,cant make out the writing on the Enfield tank.

Re: R.A.S.C. DEPOT.

Just to confirm. The front row is definitely Royal Enfield WD/C's and the 2nd row are Triumph 3SW's from contract C4631 (1939) 3rd row is also Triumph SV's.

Strangely though, the second row appear to have 6" headlamps. The 4th row look like what I'd expect...8" headlamps Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for sharing Steve! Interesting photograph. It comes from a series of photographs that were taken on December 8th 1939. Any chance of a "close up" of the WD/Cs in the corner of the picture? These are probably the very first WD/Cs that had been made, as production started in November 1939.

Here are some other pictures from the same series. Please note the three armed man in the first picture. Is this a Manxman I wonder?

photo 8 dec 1939.jpg

photo r-a-s-c-at-work-picture-shows-some-of-the-thousands-of-motor-cycles-BW0H3N.jpg

photo Schermafbeelding 2016-10-21 om 20.22.21.png

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

The WD/Cs may well have their intended destination chalked on them. The 3SWs are marked '46 Div'.

The Triumphs seem to have chromed handlbars and fittings. This is soemthing which also appears on 3SWs photographed abandoned by the BEF and has caused me to wonder if they were impressed civilian 3S models.

hope this is ok Jan.I wonder what is in the package tied onto the rear carriers on the Triumphs,there is also a label on the handle bar as well.  photo DSC_0607_zpsdce77cdb.jpg

Thanks Steve, much appreciated! Good question, what's in these bags?

Rik
The Triumphs seem to have chromed handlbars and fittings. This is soemthing which also appears on 3SWs photographed abandoned by the BEF and has caused me to wonder if they were impressed civilian 3S models.

The row of Ajays behind the Triumps are definitely civilian bikes!

photo Schermafbeelding 2014-05-29 om 09.23.51.png

Jan

Ah! I was just about to say, that those bikes further back with the big headlamps look like AJS twin ports. Ron
 photo AJ_zpsoxnkwn2p.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think on the fuel tank, it says 'QC' - Did they use the term 'Quality Control' ? and then in longhand 'Removed from' but I can't read the rest.

Something removed for rectification ?

Ron Pier
Ah! I was just about to say, that those bikes further back with the big headlamps look like AJS twin ports. Ron
 photo AJ_zpsoxnkwn2p.jpg

Indeed... And as explained in this previous thread, the early (pre Dunkirk) RASC bikes got their census numbers stamped on the engines, in a very particular way. (And there is no relation between frame number and census number.)

photo C60862_1.jpg

photo C3917870.jpg

This makes me wonder... In the pictures above the Triumphs are lined up in numerical order, and the Enfields haven't received their census number yet. Would this have been the place where the census numbers were applied to the numberplates, and where the census number was also stamped on the crankcases? (And if so, then why are the Ajays not lined up numerically...? Have they been moved and mixed up?)

Jan

Lots of thse wartime photos are propaganda pics faked to make it appear there is more availiable than actually are, they used to stretch photos of factorys for instance to make them look larger.

That would be how the three armed man got to be there. if you look closely, it seems the images have been overlaid.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Interesting to see on Jan's first photo that the destination of the bikes seems to have been written on the seats in chalk. I am sure I can read 46 DIV. I am assuming that the C numbers must already have been stamped on the crankcases as there is too little space between the bikes to stamp them when lined up so close together. Also a number of the bikes appear to have small chalk circles drawn on them in random places. These appear to be picking out defects. JT

Hello,
package on rear carrier , isn't it the tool kit??? wrapped in paper and attached to the rear carrier???maybe more easy for inspection??? the bikes have no tyre pump , braket on the chain guards are umpty, maybe it's in the packet???.....
Funny thing on the second Enfield of the picture, maybe they assemble it on a ramp!! knee grip and headlight are in the same way!! or maybe a RAF contract with search light!!!

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

Purists please note with the AJS and ATS girls,

"about to be stood against the wall and given the once over with olive paint"

[not the ATS girls]

Ken, one of these AJS bikes very much looks as if it is in a French farm yard. I was offered of these AJS's several years ago when someone found it in France and it was still in civi colours so perhaps not all were put up against a way and sprayed.

The black ones were night raiders..........

ask the ATS girls

Nieuwe pagina 1