Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dodgy frame numbers

Hello all,
Due to an impending move I was groping around in the darker corners of a garage and rediscovered an M20 that I had forgotten,about as you do. It's complete but with the engine removed from the frame and looks "original" save for the mudguards. I had overhauled the cycle parts some 11 years ago so I though "why not register it though the VMCC" as I did with my G3L. On examination the frame number is;WM20 109806, the engine number is exactly the same. Now the dodgy bit; the WM of the frame number are laying vertical as you would expect but the numbers are upright and descend in order, the engine numbers are beneath the breather boss and are of the same size (1/4") as the frame numbers.

Question 1. can this be correct?
Question 2. if not would it be a problem applying for an age related number?

I have no documents for the bike and it allegedly came from India, this is supported by the condition when I acquired it.
Any help would be useful.
Regards
Richard

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

Re: Dodgy frame numbers

Hi Richard

Its unlikely to have been applied in the factory, but it seems likely that much of the re-stamping happened during post war and even late wartime service, but I don't think its possible to tell when in an individual case.

However your options are considerably lessoned by discussing it on an open forum which may be monitored by the DVLA.

But good luck with it. Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1