Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PLATING FINISHES & RING GAPS.

Hello folks, could the more learned amongst you tell me what sort of plating finish was factory applied to such things as clutch/brake levers and advance/retard levers and the like, for BSA WM20s,also what is the nearest modern looking finish visually comparable to the old, and the scond part of my question, what size should the ring gaps be for, for a standard piston in a standard bore ?
Thanks for your time, PETE.

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

Re: PLATING FINISHES & RING GAPS.

Ring gaps .008".010" for all three rings...

The levers were dull chromed when plated..This finish is still available from some platers but check to make sure they are using the original process...
Some try to 'fake it' with satinising soaps, blasting and god knows what else...Those finishes never look right....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Eight to ten thou, got it. Thanks for the gen Ian, cheers.

Re. the plating finishes, it all depends on the year of the bike, early there was a lot of matt chrome, that got gradually replaced by Cadmium plating, and at the end of the war, most was just painted.

Am sure people can tell you what would be right for your contract, but we need to know a frame number then, to determine what contract, and Henk will have relevant (wartime) pictures.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Hello there Lex, my frame number is WM20.25117 which I beleive was released from Small Heath on the 9th September 1940, thanks for your assistance,PETE

Nieuwe pagina 1