Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
German despatch riders insignia

I would like to add some foreign DR insignia to my collection, so here is an attempt with the WW2 German Army, the "lightning" badges are described as Signallers badges with Red for Artillery and Black for Engineers White Infantry Brown Reconnaissance.

But is a Despatch Rider a Signaller in German terms?

Rob

photo Image1_zpsygi4lfrd.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: German despatch riders insignia

Have been through a large amount of my photos and cannot find more than 3 pictures which show any sort of trade badge and they are too indistinct to make out. The big problem is that it is difficult to work out who are Kradmelders (DR's) and who are Kradschutzen (mounted riflemen)as the uniforms are identical in black and white.

I had a quick look through Google search and there was an Afrika Korp Kradmelders badge (allegedly) for sale which was the same as the signalers badge but Brown outer edge/sand centre and an orange lightning flash. Maybe orange is the Waffenfarb for Kradmelders and other colours for wireless operators and signalers etc.

Hi Rob and list,

Here what I have in a book about wartime German military bike riders:

I have a bronze badge somewhere, will take picture if I find it!

Cheers,

Lex

PS, sorry for the German text!!

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Thanks chaps

I have translated a bit of the article that Lex has posted and it seems to say that after 1942 Motorcyclist were authorized to wear the drivers steering wheel badge in its three grades, with different dates for different countries of occupation??

But I could be wrong as Mein deutscha ist kaput

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob, yes, you got the gist of it, but after 1st of June 1944, it was awarded on all frontline despatch riders, but many soldiers were not aware of this, and never applied or got one.

They are not that rare to find on jumbles etc.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Nieuwe pagina 1