The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Norton 16H

photo 001_zps983ffddb.jpg
 photo 004_zps404e979e.jpg

I've had this Norton 16H for years now........part of a 1940 contract C7353..........found in India (New Dheli) many years ago now and brought back to the UK...........still in post-war green, stripping the paint revealed sand paint underneath and below that khaki-green...............engine strip-down revealed the bike to have been rebuilt around 1945 by Indian Command workshops (No.501, located at Chaklala in NW India (nowadays a huge Air Force base).......the piston was so marked on top and closer inspection revealed that the piston had actually been cast in 501 Command workshops and was a perfect replica of the standard Norton component........

I have a few photos showing other Norton's from contract C.7353 serving in India with C-number not too far away from mine............I wonder if my particular bike served in the Middle East between 1941-43 before travelling over to India ? I guess we will never know..............

Images show the 16H when first acquired, and a few years ago once restored with my granddaughter aboard after her first-ever pillion ride ! Restoration of this 16H was fairly easy as at the time I had unlimited access to many NOS 16H parts.........

I have to admit that I haven't used the Norton for over 3 years now..........she isn't even at home, sitting in a dark barn in Wiltshire...........I went to see her a couple of weeks ago now and dragging the tarpaulin off showed a very dusty bike, flat tyres, even mould on her ! Just out of curiosity I thought I'd start her up and 4th kick she fired on 4-year old fuel and ran like a top..........

I am now in love with the 16H all over again........that tick-over is awesome, a right old thumper...........methinks I need to give her some tlc soon and a full strip-down is planned.............

Re: My Norton 16H

Its interesting that before restoration the front mudguard stays were bent into a very similar shape to the ones on the forum photo.

I guess its just a combination of a weak component and being lifted in and out of lorries?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Blimey Rob - I think that's the front-wheel stand....!!!!

Good point Steve, as I never use the front stand I always forget that's what its for So this is what can happen when you do use it. Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

This was also a classic case, and an exception for me, to restore a bike to a particular period rather than "as built" originally.................according to Rik, this 16H, although a 1940 contract, was probably not built and delivered until early 1941.............it was originally finished in KG No.3, had all-rubber fittings, no pillion nor pannier equipment either although looking at period images of similar bikes in this contract, the front and rear number-plates had also gone by the time this one entered service..............

On the plus side, I have all the correct period fittings to restore her to "factory" period specification if ever I choose to do so........that includes the early rear carrier and stay assembly plus the early card blackout mask...............

As for this one for now it resides in a similar colour scheme applicable for mid-1942 aka the well-known series of films "Army Motor Cycling" which featured rebuilt earlier models which by that time would be finished in SCC No.2 brown............:-)

Finally, this machines still carries some very early features........the mudguard's are ribbed, plus the tail section is the longer "curved" type............also, the CZ27 ammeter fitted into the original 8" headlight unit features "domed" glass and the brake and clutch levers are solid-brass rather than steel pressings....:-)

Steve Madden
I went to see her a couple of weeks ago now....

Steve,
Did you by any chance found that silencer you told me ages ago? :)
Great looking bike, as all of your collection!
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

By night, all barns in Wiltshire are dark.

Can't find it Kostas !!! So much stuff in there.........

Nieuwe pagina 1