Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Photo

A most interesting image........shows an early Norton 16H but the photo likely dates from 1942.........note the early 16H has been updated in workshops by the later addition of pannier frames and pillion equipment......

Shows a member of the Home Guard aboard, clue are the leather anklets and waist-belt, plus the Sten-gun issued extensively to the Home Guard from late-1941 onward.......

Re: Forum Photo

Steve, I bought the original of this photo over here thinking it was HG but on closer examination he has a 'Belgium' shoulder title. The anklets don't appear to be 1939-pattern webbing but look more like ATS anklets and he has an '03 pattern belt...

As far as I can tell, Belgium used some leather webbing in the immediate post-war period. The identity of the bike is a little suspect as it's from C5109 (i.e. prior to March 1940) but appears to have a factory-fitted pillion footrest lug.

On the reverse is a message in Flemish / Dutch

photo Afbeelding 180_zpsepqcvosf.jpg

"Als eeuwige erinnering van uw verloofde, François" - As eternal reminder from your fiancé, François.

'Keepsake' might be a better translation of erinnering

'As eternal memory of your fiancé Francois'

Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Sven, I didn't use the literal translation as in English 'In Memory of' or 'In Memoriam of' would only be used in the context of a death which he didn't seem to be as he wrote it himself. To be honest, if they had 'doodsprentjes' in England, that is what it would sound like !

I imagine that De çois may well have left school at fourteen and that his formal language may have become a bit over-flowery due to listening to Meneer Pastoor every Sunday.

Nieuwe pagina 1