Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEF - 1940 - BSA M20 with Casualties (may offend - sorry)

The sad reality of war..............

BSA M20 with British casualties............sorry if this image may shock and offend some Forum members but this is the reality of war, sadly, and we WILL remember and honour their sacrifice...........

Perhaps our BEF expert Rik can furnish more detail on this image............

photo AbandonedKM20_zpsam6qbabl.jpg

Re: BEF - 1940 - BSA M20 with Casualties (may offend - sorry)

It's an image that I know well, Steve. Jan's investigations locally showed that it was photographed on the Koninglijke Baan at De Panne. This was the road to the former Royal Villa. The wall is quite distinctive.

There were a number of casualties there, presumably from air attack. The first of the vehicle piers was built at De Panne and most of 4th Division and some of 3rd escaped from there. It is a mistake to think that the evacuation only took place from the French coast.

This shows the scene from another angle:-

photo qqq_zpsdqys6k9s.jpg

Car is an impressed Austin 8hp, I think. M20 bears the AoS '31' which probably indicates a Divisional Provost Company (logical as the CMP were most likely to be using their motorcycles within the perimeter).

This is my 16H parked on the same piece of road last year. There is nothing left to reference the scene in 1940.

photo IMG_1257_zps9px0dour.jpg

De Panne Communal Cemetery contains 177 known casualties from May / June 1940. Unfortunately, the online search system does not allow the 'Known Unto God' burials to be included.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

Thanks Rik..... I always consider you our resident BEF expert chap as your knowledge of the 1940 campaign is second-to-none..........

Are there any "now" images of this site ? Be interesting to see and perhaps a plaque should be put there.............

Sorry if this image has offended any Forum members by the way, I really mean that. But war is war, and the best way to remember those who fell in our name is to post things like this.....well, my opinion anyway............

And here is another sad image from that day at the brick wall. Ron

photo Deadsoldiers_zpssta2qgum.jpg

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, however uncomfortable an image this is..........WE WILL REMEMBER THEM !

Interesting to note provost (CMP) use of the M20 at this period.............

Steve, you're very kind but I'm not truly an expert. Perhaps what I do have is an uncommon combination of interests in the motorcycles, the locations and the British Army of 1940.

Comparision photos however grim are fascinating.It is well to remebr that war is not the video game some kids think it is.

I have been hooked on them since 'After The Battle' magazine No1, who are THE
people to follow. and have since used a similar technique in my other interest.

Rik

This shows the scene from another angle:-

photo qqq_zpsdqys6k9s.jpg

Car is an impressed Austin 8hp, I think.

It's actually a Ford Prefect Rik...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Well you could have told me off-forum, Jan. Fine sort of friend you are !

It's all done for the benefit of future researchers Rik!

Veni vidi correcti.
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

these photographs are grim, but thank you for the warnings and thank you everyone for the respect being shown. It is important not to deny the awful realities of that time and the sad loss and waste of people. I always associate my M20 with the sacrifice and ultimate achievements of ordinary people in the war, so in a way I find it helpful to be reminded of these terrible truths and to feel that our bikes played their little part in putting an end to all the horrors. I always hope that we can try and be worthy of that sacrifice made by so many. for me it is an important reminder. RIP

Nieuwe pagina 1