Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New guy

Hi everyone, I need some help please, well information really.

I am in Arizona, USA, and have just bought a BSA M20. The seller believes it to be 1943.

What I am after is any information anybody can give for the bike with the following details;
Frame # WM20 96455
Engine # WM20 81859

It has a later army registration number on it of 90 YD 44, but I don't know if that is original.

The seller has no title for the bike so I will need to get as much info on it to obtain a 'bonded' title. (Ideally some previous owners or import date).

If anyone could let me know any history you can work out from this or point me in the right direction to source it myself. The correct 'C' number and manufacture dates would be a bonus.

Thanks for any time anyone can spare on my quest.

Joe.

email (option): se98jl@hotmail.com

Re: New guy

Yet more requests.

Before my bike arrives does anyone know what publications are best to get that will give me the operating sequences (starting/stopping/general things to look for whilst operating the bike/regular checks/etc).

I would also like to add Airborne Forces insignia, where is best to research if there was any (1944 preferably).

I was in the British Army for 20 years, including service in 16 Para Brigade.

Any help would be welcomed. I do have a 1975 Norton Commando too but this BSA is something special for me.

Cheers,

Joe.

JOE
Congratulations I hope you have as much fun with yours that I have had with mine.
Just about everything you need to know is in the Technical section of this web site

WM20 riders handbooks are every where on line for free and fairly sure if it is not on the wed site it is on Henck's CD which is available in the "for Sale " section and a worth addition to any library.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Joe, the frame and engine numbers indicate it was built as part of a large contract in 1943. The registration number you have is a post-war British Army registration that would have replaced the "C" number on its tank. Ie it served in the Army post-war, and you may be able to recover postwar records for it.

Hi Joseph

I have looked up your machine in the post war key cards

90YD44 96455 S/O 16.2.70 4753952 C13290 16 BVD BAOR B/41

The Serial C4753952 and contract number C13290 doesn't match the frame number WM20 96455, C4753952 would originally have been WM20 73369, and frame WM20 96455 would have had the serial C5129855.

Frame number WM20 73369 also has a key card

92YD65 73369 S/O Disposal BAOR CR 31-3-63 5125244 S1048 BAOR

Again the Serial C5125244 doesn't match the frame number WM20 73369. C5125244 originally had the frame number WM20 91844.

And the serial C5129855 that was originally with your frame WM20 96455 is mentioned on another key card.

11ZC91 56826 S/O MOS Disposal PXO6 27.9.60 5129855 S1048 AA Permnt. Range, Bude

No match again, the frame WM20 56826 should have the serial C4638414

The key cards are full of errors and sometimes engine numbers from machines with replacement engines are used instead of the frame number so its not unusual for this sort of mess to happen but it doesn't really help with your situation.

Can you supply some pictures of frame and engine numbers and any rebuild plates on your bike?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

An airborne M20?

did we have a plane that could take off with one on board?

I had my M20 in Airborne markings for a while, you can do the tank serial in pale blue rather than white, and there is the yellow balance stripe on the primary chain case for glider loading.

Somewhere I have a picture of three motorcycles in a glider or C47 and I'm sure the middle one is an M20 but I can't find it at the moment?

Rob

ken
An airborne M20?

did we have a plane that could take off with one on board?

A Lanc could carry two if it didn't have a full fuel load.

I was thinking more Glider borne troops, sounds plausible.

Thanks for the replies guys. A great help.

I am just arranging the shipping for the bike at the moment so no doubt I will have lots of questions once I get started.

Best to ride the M20 to its destination and save the gliders for lesser makes...Just to make sure everyone gets there... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here is the picture, thanks John.

Rob

photo Airborne_zpsvnetkcyn.jpg

The 2 G3L Matchlesses either side appear to be quite early bikes with the short rear mudguard, no front stands etc. Did BSA make a lightweight M20 for the airborne forces? JT

BSA did produce a lightweight M20 prototype...

It didn't go into production though, probably didn't seem quite right... ...

No picture of it has yet turned up but I guess it might have been the M20 engine in a WB30 frame (which it would fit into without modification)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I guess this picture was taken during one of the many training courses the gliderborne troops did. In the early days the Airborne troops used the heavy Norton big 4 untill they were provided with Jeeps. So everything is possible. During Market Garden they are only Matchless G3L bikes to be seen on wartime civy movietracks. And of ofcourse the flying fleas.

Regards, Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1