Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Norton bearings

The crank and cases are exactly the same as a post war ES2 which use a roller on the timing side and a roller and ball on the drive side. They weren't worried about flexing cranks and self aligning bearing on the OHV engine which puts out more power, so why worry about it on the 16H? The rollers and ball are easy to get and probably cost less than the self aligning bearings. I can't see why anyone would want to use them. I just phoned Russell's and asked for a set, and put them in. It's not that complicated

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

You're right , you can probably fit ball or roller bearings in any combination you like on timing or drive sides with no problems. I was just mentioning the correct arrangement for a WD 16H as some people seem to like to have everything spot on as period. The bearings I mentioned, I also believe they are RLS8 single row balls, ie not self aligning.
BTW you should get 50,000 miles out of a set of mains so I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree you can probably get away with lots of different components on any old vehicle rebuild and its up to the owner to fit anything they want, but its another matter altogether advising someone else to do it, and this forum could be here in years to come offering bad advise, so I think we need to stick to the facts.

The engine on the Military 16H is basically a 1935 design which was designed to use 3 ball races.

The Military Big4 has a later generation engine more like a late 1930s 16H but with a very long stroke, it probably does produce more torque and was designed to have two rollers and one ball race and it may well need it.

The reasons for using different types of bearing are many and varied, as are the opinions on the subject, just try googling Norton Commando Superblend.

I had hoped that this thread would offer an opportunity to buy the correct bearings directly and more cheaply than through a motorcycle dealer but alas no.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

You've missread my post. I believe the correct bearings ie OEM for a WD 16H (which is what the OP was asking about), are
3 off 1" X 2 1/4" X 5/8" RLS8 ball bearings (non self aligning single row balls) I would not advise anyone to fit anything else. These are the cheapest of all the others discussed on this post and are readily available from most bearing stockists.

Ten mins on Google

photo bearing_zpsa3raponb.jpg

Thanks Keith, so you are recommending "Budget" bearings?

Rob

Well that was the first place I came to when I googled. However Henderson Bearing are a British company and have been trading since 1949. I have no idea where they source their stock from. I'm sure RHP SKF etc make and sell the same size bearings and are also equally available.
Modern bearing quality is a whole new subject but I'm sure a reputable name is a good enough guarantee.

I have found some good quality C3 roller bearings in the correct size for my big 4 mains but they have a lip in one side, is this correct?

And would the lipped sides be towards the flywheels as in the diagram?

Rob

bearings

Yes that's correct Rob, if the lip was the other way round you wouldn't be able to get the crank out the casing without taking the bearing out the crank case. The inner is tight on the crank, not like the ball bearing on the drive side which is a sliding fit.
There are also shims that go behind the inner for adjusting the end float, it's not easy to take the inner on and off to do this and there are also shims that can go under the bearing in the casing.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you Horror, I'm finally getting somewhere.

Rob

Hi All

If anyone needs any assistance with bearings please do not hesitate to email me off site.
I have been dealing on bearings for over 30 years and have built up a decent knowledge in that time.
there are many 'budget' brands out there which are usually Chinese rubbish but there are also other options which are pretty good too.
Some of the tapered roller wheel bearings are getting a bit scarce and the few stockists who have them charge a ridiculous amount for them so be careful.
I am here to help and advise if needed but email is best as I often don't get on here for a while as it can be hectic at the office sometimes.:-)

Best regards
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1