Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint Opinion

Hi All
I have just picked up a BSA M20 that I am doing a bit of tinkering on for the owner. We were both debating weather the paint is actually original (post war) or just slapped on by a civi owner.

The bike had only been registered for one year in the 90s and prior to that it seems to have just been in military storage as there is very little wear on it on the footpegs for example and the engine is very good.

There are traces of deep bronze green in certain places but this other green has been applied over the top.

I suspect it has been painted in civi hands as the chromed choke lever only has this paint slapped on top and no other paint beneath like it has been added later.

I have attached a couple of photos (I hope!) and would just appreciate anyone elses opinions before he considers a potential respray as it would look nice in Service Brown! But wouldnt necessarily want to paint it if it was original paint even if it was post-war.

Thanks!

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Re: Paint Opinion

Hi Martyn,

The engine rebuild data tag (dated March 1952) is painted in the same colour as the rest of the bike...? That would definitely make it a post 1952 paint job!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

If the bike has some gloss bronze green then unless a pre-war machine, it must be a post-war finish and these continued in use until about 1970 when the NATO matt green was introduced. Were there any M20s in service after this ?

There are no post-war storage or unit markings visible...everything points to a civilian re-paint over a de-mob bronze-green.

You might find a sample of the original paint color when you disassemble. For me I found my original color between the QD wheel assemblies. Crank those 3 bolts up real good afterwards though!

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1