Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA M20 PHOTO ON EBAY.

What the hell are they doing???

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

In my opinion they are preparing themselves against the typical German ambush of a steel wire across the road, just below the rider's head. You often see pictures with Jeeps with that typical "wire catcher" mounted on the front bumper.

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Yes indeed Jan. This is very probably the same bike. I think the idea is to try and deflect the wire over the riders head. The Jeep version was usually made of much stronger angle iron with a bend near the top with a notch in it to try and brake the wire. I don't think that stick affair would brake cheese-wire Ron

photo scan-160912-0001_zps97mgs8pz.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A pal of mine, now long gone, told me the wire cutters were primarily fitted to their jeeps not due to the risk of the deliberately strung wire but against the very common 'fallen' telephone and electric wires that festooned the streets of shattered towns and villages. Yes, the deliberate wires were a problem, but the accidental ones were the much more commonly encountered one.

My thoughts on the steel rods fitted to the bikes was that they were intended (hoped?) to deflect the wire up and over the riders head rather than cutting it. No, I'm not going to experiment to test the theory, but I'm sure someone will :-) Just in the interests of strict rivet counting accuracy

Nieuwe pagina 1