Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: searching for image of WM20 and Brit fighter plane

The difference between a gun an a cannon is most likely the number and type of rivets used to mount them to the fuselage. We need better images of those rivets.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Hey Cas, glad you like it. I can email you the pics if you want. This M20 is staying just as it is. I now have several WD bikes which are "correct" but this one is still my favorite.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick, I didn't mean your bike in particular...it's just that with modern photos, I can't avoid wondering what shouldn't be there...and with period images I'm always searching for new evidence of how things were done.

hi Mick,
that would be lovely! Especially if they are larger resolution. BTW - love the guys in your store - they are so knowledgeable. And thanks for the "birthday belt"!

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Gunners are blokes like me who never seem to get around to starting things and what they start they never finish.

There is a definition somewhere although it is a moot point ( and was originally meant in humour )
Hispanos & Oerlikons are nearly always referred to as cannons
While Bofors always seemed to be called Guns regardless of callibre

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi All
Not absolutely sure but with aircraft I thought cannon's fired exploding rounds and machine guns fired solid rounds.
Happy to be corrected.
John

The blokes who fired cannons on HMS Victory were 'Gunners'. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

"Gun" is a generic term for a projectile firing weapon, "Cannon" is a sub term, so a cannon is a gun but a gun isn't necessarily a cannon.

IMHO Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

['The term gun may refer to any sort of projectile weapon from large cannons to small firearms including those that are usually hand-held']....

It seems like there's some overlap in terminology...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1